New Gauge Master Prodigy Wireless DCC Controller - Anyone tried it yet ?

3Valve

Railways; Air cooled VW's; Soul Music
24 Oct 2009
Shropshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Domonic. Welcome to the forum.

I'm looking to go DCC myself in 2010 and had looked at the Gaugemaster Prodigy when it was first introduced. As far as I can recall at that time was listed as only suitable for N to O scales.

However given that you're operating a small layout with only small loco's you may get away with it and the price is certainly tempting.

No doubt you'll get some great feedback and advice on here from the experienced DCC guys though. There are certainly plenty of good folks on here with a wealth of experience in DCC.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Cheeky Monkey said:
and given Gaguemasters poor reputation I would leave well alone
Whist Gaugemaster do seem to have had issues with some of their own brand equipment it would seem that they are merely agents for this particular range of products.

GrahamMills

Many & various. In G scale it is American Diesel.
25 Oct 2009
Lizard, Cornwall, UK
Best answers
I also considered the Prodigy but the low amps and voltage caused me to reject it. Probably very good for 00 but not for G Scale. Gaugemaster only recommend it for N, H0 & 00 gauges.

Perhaps more importantly I wonder what frequency it uses. 75 mhz is used by a lot of the American systems but that is unfortunately illegal in this country.

I was unable to check this on the MRC site since the level of technical information there was small to non-existent. Indeed the level of supporting documentation seemed to be extremely poor.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
GrahamMills said:
Perhaps more importantly I wonder what frequency it uses. 75 mhz is used by a lot of the American systems but that is unfortunately illegal in this country.

I was unable to check this on the MRC site since the level of technical information there was small to non-existent. Indeed the level of supporting documentation seemed to be extremely poor.

The pdf manual for the DCC03 on Gaugemaster's site says it uses 433MHz, legal for the UK.

As has been stated, the system seems primarily aimed as the smaller scales and is only around 3.5 amps output. Might be better off looking at alternatives which support higher volts and amps.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
The Lenz systems is reasonably priced, good quality and readily available. It is suitable for G scale since you can configure the volts output and can add to the amps with extra hardware, if required. They have a cheap system where you can use a cordless phone handset to control trains. The other systems you mention will work too.