New buildings - the first one

peterbunce

1880's Colorado Narrow gauge on 45mm track
29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Hi,

Well, with all the white stuff that has been thrown down from the sky I  have been making inside in the warm, and making some more buildings  

Here is the first of them, a small building which as you can see from the ‘try out’ lettering design, is an Assay Office – that is a place where the miners in my (supposed) region brought some lumps of rock that they hoped would make their fortune. The Assayist broke up the ore lump, and then chemically analyzed it to see what metal(s) it contained. Thus a small building is only required; the plan is from my new book with a store/annexe added at the back for the chemicals etc. 

Made from PVC solid foam, and /or Korroflute with corrugated (Fosters lager) beer cans for the roof. Some details are still needed, like a door handle (painted, and awaiting fitting) and of course the transfers, the foundation slab is already made for it, the weather is keeping the building inside though! 

a40b8e60f5a84b118e717e1d40898c99.jpg

Front view of the building

07c2dede9311459ca980f5e855bd2ce0.jpg

rear view showing the extension (with the sun glinting of the varnish - the weather will soon tone that down!)

845b307b18f6478ca17d8cf4fd19df84.jpg

Side & rear view showing the roof as well.

Yours Peter.

coyote97

RR, technical things, 4x4
9 Dec 2009
southern Germany
Best answers
seems that snowy weeks bring out well benchwork.

Gratulations from here!

Fine work, Peter!

Frank

Richie

Rio Grande Railroad , Mountain biking , Gardening
24 Oct 2009
Albrighton West Midlands
Best answers
Very nice Peter :clap:When finished do they stay out all year or do you bring them in ?

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
peterbunce said:
........Thus a small building is only required; the plan is from my new book with a store/annexe added at the back for the chemicals etc.

Yours Peter.

Very inspirational - as is all your fine modelling work - a treat for the eyes! But what book's this Peter?

Mick

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
Richie said:
Very nice Peter :clap:When finished do they stay out all year or do you bring them in ?

Hi Richie,

The already built ones have stayed out in all the snow all winter = see the photo of them

8158ac0a71c4489e9c25d696be2d8812.jpg

and other than the stovepipes coming off at the intermediate fixing (repair - more glue there, and I now add a restraining wire) they have been OK, with no damage. I was expecting more (it was a bit over the top with the amount that has been thrown down on us!) but the damage is fixable & minor.

Thanks for the thought!

Yours Peter.

peterbunce

29 Oct 2009
east of manchester
Best answers
trammayo said:
peterbunce said:
........Thus a small building is only required; the plan is from my new book with a store/annexe added at the back for the chemicals etc.

Yours Peter.

Very inspirational - as is all your fine modelling work - a treat for the eyes! But what book's this Peter?

Mick

Hi Mick

It is called 'Early Wood Frame & Stone Structures, and is available from the USA on the following link, which also shows the front cover -

http://stores.e-model-railroading.com/Categories.bok?category=Books:Stone+Structures < Link To http://stores.e-model-rai...oks%3AStone+Structures

for a sample of a part of one drawing goto

http://www.freerails.com/view_topic.php?id=1638&forum_id=6&jump_to=17950, < Link To http://www.freerails.com/...d=6&jump_to=17950, the drawing is and scroll down just a bit

the drawing is from his second book - in that the buildings were too large for me.

All drawings are to HO Scale, on about A4 size sheets - so a scanner is brought into use to enlarge them the result is on multiple sheets, so they are then joined together - that will give you an idea of the (latge) size of your building.

You have to make the windows by the way! They are a bit complicated, or possible tedious would be a better word - lots of bits of plasticard are involved; basically they are a double layer of .020 strips.

see the following that I wrote for my bit of my daughters website

http://www.musiccorner.co.uk/a320/Making-120th-Scale-Sash-Windows/article_info.html < Link To http://www.musiccorner.co...dows/article_info.html

I intend to rewrite that sometime to have more information, I have found a photo of some single level windows that shows what theybn look like more clearly - here is it

558542b40022427bab7bd6cf6b671d1c.jpg

These are for the church that is also in my daughters website - that looked very nice with the steeple covered in deep snow, the cross on top was not damaged at all, I blew the snow off to make sure and was pleasantly surprised.

Yours Peter

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Love the building Peter, well done, it looks super

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Peter,
many thanks for that. Never bought owt from US but will have a go now that I have managed to open a PayPal account. Tried to open Forum Menu yesterday but could not because my satellite provider was heavily trafficked by other users. I miss G Scale Mad because it took you to unread items. Don't get me wrong, I think this site is great and we are extremely privileged to have it - its just dinosaurs like me have difficulty in adjusting (when I nod my head, you hit it).

Cheers
Mick

trammayo

24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi again Peter - bought the book! Looked at your article - you have the patience of Job! I really admire your skills.

Thankyou fou your help Peter.
Mick

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
Well done, I am all in favour of structures which can brave the elements.