Need Verification on Plant Name

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
We've had this plant in our pond for at least ten years, but i think it is more like 12-15 years. I believe it's called a Japanese arrow, but it's been so long since we bought it, my memory is fading.

When first purchased, it was about a foot high with three or four stems. The garden center salmon or salesman told us it would not survive winters and that we should take it indoors each fall. Well that never happened and as you can see it loves our pond and has grown to five feet in height and width. It has also spread it's off spring around the pond in several places.

IMG_4087.jpg

Last edited:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
We've had this plant in our pond for at least ten years, but i think it is more like 12-15 years. I believe it's called a Japanese arrow, but it's been so long since we bought it, my memory is fading.

When first purchased, it was about a foot high with three or four stems. The garden center salmon told us it would not survive winters and that we should take it indoors each fall. Well that never happened and as you can see it loves our pond and has grown to five feet in height and width. It has also spread it's off spring around the pond in several places.

View attachment 215076
You bought a Pond Plant from a Fish?
JonD

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Triffid

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. I knew it had some kind of arrow name. The site you posted indicates a two to three foot growing height. Mine has exceeded that by two.

They refer to cutting it back each year?

Perhaps you have two-years growth??

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Each year the leaves and stems turn brown in the Fall. Then I cut them back as low to the water's surface as I can. In the Spring it's all new growth. So the picture I posted is this year's growth. The plant keeps growing in width under the water's surface, just like any similar plants do on land, like Daffodils or Lilies of the Valley. There are seeds that fall from the plant most of the Summer. A few seeds have found places to root so I have a half dozen or so smaller versions of the Arrow plant. Next Spring I have to cut some of the root system off of the large one as it will reach the other side of the pond and block some of the water flow to the filter.