Mylocosound - remote control

mi-tee.mike.master

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Coventry
Best answers
Hello :wave:

I've recently purchased a steam sound card from mylocosound. Their website states that the whistle sound can be independently triggered using a modified wireless door chime system. Unfortunately, it doesn't give a clue as to how this would be done. Has anybody out there managed to do this successfully? If so, how did you go about it? I would love to know, as I really like the idea of being able to set the whistle off as the mood takes me.

silverflyer

G Scale, Photography,
26 Oct 2009
Harrogate, North Yorkshire
Best answers
Hi,

Are you using an RC system , if so what kind and how many chanels as it got.

I use an RC system from Timpdon electronics which as speed control Fwd/Rev, it also has 2 switched chanels which can be used for whistle and lights. The system is very compact and I have one fitted in a Bachmann Connie, the whole lot, Receiver/Speed Control/ 12v Battery pack/mylocosound card/ speaker,etc , all fitted in the Tender.

mi-tee.mike.master

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Coventry
Best answers
I'm using analog track power and I'm on a tight budget, hence the interest in the el-cheepo wireless door chime option.

mi-tee.mike.master

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Coventry
Best answers
Think I've got some of the answer:

http://docs.google.com/viewer?a=v&q...qUopGM&sig=AHIEtbRwpRBQvnzXRfk1BlSLljnVm3BgsQ

Blow Your Horn With A Wireless Doorbell​
by Scott Gould ? August 2008​
If you?ve got a sound system that uses magnets on the track to trigger a whistle or blow a horn, you may get tired of hearing the same sound at the same place every time around. Here?s an inexpensive way to blow your horn whenever you get the urge, or whenever Bossy wanders onto the track. All you need is a reed switch and a wireless doorbell. Wireless doorbells are available at Radio Shack or from various Internet sites. I bought the one pictured on Amazon.com for under $8.00, plus shipping. The doorbell comes with a pushbutton that will trigger the bell from a distance of up to several hundred feet. To make it operate your horn, you will need to use a reed switch. (Radio Shack sells a 5VDC/0.5 amp version that should work for $3.00. Part no. 275-232). If track magnets trigger your horn or whistle, your sound board probably already has a reed switch, and you may be able to use it with the wireless doorbell​
instead of purchasing a new switch. Reed switches are a type of relay, in which contacts in a glass tube are surrounded by a coil. The contacts close in the presence of a magnetic field, as​
when a magnet passes near them. In our case, we?ll use the current from the pushbutton on the doorbell transmitter to the close the contacts on the reed switch, thus triggering the horn or whistle.​
​
First, take apart the doorbell and locate the leads that attach to the
doorbell speaker.​
​
Clip these leads (unless you want to hear a doorbell coming from your
engine) and solder them to the terminals attached to the coil on the reed​
switch relay. (The wiring diagram that comes with the Radio Shack switch​
will show you the correct terminals.)​
​
When you press the doorbell transmitter, the current which would
ordinarily flow to the doorbell speaker will now flow through the coil.​
​
Connect wires from the two remaining terminals on the reed switch relay
to your sound board. To do this, look for leads on the sound board that go​
to whatever device triggers your horn or whistle.​
​
Solder the reed switch contacts in series with these leads.
​
To save on space, you can remove the doorbell circuit board and battery
pack from its housing, and install the parts adjacent to your sound board. I​
put my doorbell in a tender.​
If everything works, every time you press your doorbell buzzer, your whistle or​
horn should sound. The same device could just as easily control a turnout or a​
signal. It will also operate a doorbell. So have a blast!​
Endnote​
MGRS member Mile Silsby comments that he has used a similar doorbell circuit. He​
indicates that since the above circuit, depending on the sound board, may be replacing a​
relay operated by a magnet with a powered electromagnetic relay, a ?protection diode?​
could help prevent damage to sound board components from brief voltage surges.​

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Well spotted. This is a great solution for customers using trackpower.

The MyLocoSound soundcard does not have a reed switch on board but has connections for one. You need to purchase a reed switch from a model railway store or electrical components supplier. Then connect it across the H1 and GND terminals of the soundcard.

I will put a link to the page you found on the http://www.mylocosound.com/ < Link To www.mylocosound.com web site.

Thanks for the great research
Peter

robsmorgan

Registered
5 Feb 2010
Ceredigion, Mid Wales, UK
Best answers
Thanks m-t.mike for the google link, I had been thinking about budget controls using keyfob type remotes - hadn't thought of my doorbells and I have two fitted in the house and shed :rolleyes:

Can't think of any specific benefit at the moment, but you can get more than one receiver to respond to one bell-push
(I bought mine from Focus)

Great tip

Rob

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
robsmorgan said:
Can't think of any specific benefit at the moment, but you can get more than one receiver to respond to one bell-push
Rob

Yes, and they usually have a link inside to give option of alternate frequencies to save you going to the door when someone presses next door's bell!
Maybe best to get the same brand, maybe even at the same time, to ensure one bell-push works them all.

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
I am away from the office at the moment but when I get back, at the weekend, I will post a wiring diagram and some photos showing how to use a wireless doorbell to operate the whistle/horn on track powered locos without radio control.

Peter

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
We have now fully documented the use a wireless door chime to remote control a horn or whistle on a DC track or battery
powered loco. It is actually easier than the above link suggests. You don't need reed switches, relays, coils, etc...just the
door chime and a battery to power it.

Full details are at http://www.mylocosound.com/doorchime.html .

Peter

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Just a thought, might be daft question, if you have have more the one whistle/horn unit on the track will the remote trigger them all??????

Moonraker

Registered
25 Oct 2009
South Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Bram,

The door chime unit I bought has six different code settings. Therefore I could buy six door chime sets and use the six buttons to control the whistles/horns in six locos, each with a different setting.

Alternatively, I could use one button and just move the setting jumper according to which loco I want to control.

I am told that some other door chimes have more than six settings.

Peter

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Peter, that clears that up