My Battery/RC Conversion

KleineDicke

Trains, trains, and trains. Oh, did I mention tra
24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
OK, so here it is- my first battery/RC conversion using the Hobby King hardware I previously wrote about.

I started with this thing – which I picked up cheap on eBay (~$50). It was ugly, but had very little use and ran quite well. Using some bits and pieces I had laying about, a few parts I got from Silvergate and some paint, I was able return it to its German roots.
27e7b0aa99a143a8bb21a53abb1f2a4b.jpg

But along the way, Gustav and I decided we needed battery power and remote control. We also added some extra weight for better grunt.
d07aa6b372a04d67a59527e6bf42c923.jpg

First, the batteries. After extensive research and testing ;), I determined 6 AAA batteries could be squeezed into each side tank. I got 12 AAA NiMH batteries (with tabs) and made two battery packs. I also installed a switch to let me select battery or track power (RC works with battery power only). The batteries are 1000 mAh, which gives about 1 1/2 hours running on a full charge.
f7d2caddc2394790a8e1b59cc5bc9d8c.jpg

The RC parts all came from Hobby King and are installed as you see. They are held in place by velcro. The ESC is rated for 12 volts, but it will take 14.4 with no problem. Judging from the full speed of the loco, 12 volts (10 cells) would have been plenty, though.
3331400b3624497d9881019454fc099f.jpg

A DPDT switch was attached to a servo with super glue to serve as a reverse switch. The servo and switch are also held in place with velcro. Things are a bit tight in the cab, so Gustav has to be careful so as not to trip (having one's feet glued to the floor has its advantages).
4ba9a29922c24c37bcf01d60197362bc.jpg

The antenna wire was run up over the boiler and held down with zip ties; a charging port is under the cab, accessible from the side.
e443de4004c84632b03e6f5cd89be28e.jpg

Another view of the charging port, under the cabin.
2ce4f43055ed4dd59cddae7cc4feff39.jpg

And now, the finished product. I kind of like the looks of it. :clap: So does Gustav. Driving the Circus Lok always embarrassed him. I’ll need to add some lettering and maybe a touch of weathering.
c878b2bb4f8f4c858b9d03bf8c7f245d.jpg

Another view; I think I see Gustav smiling :D.
e4d176b9b95d44e8a4e13fcc1b71702d.jpg

And a final view.
fd1093d780164a69b60d9161c5946f28.jpg

I'm pretty pleased with how it came out. It run smoothly, pulls well, and, I think, looks good.

Thanks to GregH for his help and support in my project.

Steve

I didn’t say it was your fault, I said I was b
1 Jan 1970
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.F
Best answers
Country flag
Brilliant work and many thanks for the blow by blow account excellent :clap:

Doug

Live Steam, scratch building
24 Oct 2009
West Herts
Best answers
Country flag
Great idea, looks good :)

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
Terrific work Bill.
Great description and photos, but I did miss the pic of the 1:20 scale crowbar you must have used to fit it all in ;)

You did touch on the fact that you could have used fewer battery cells.
I think that it's really important hint to all prospective battery convertees. ie To use the minimum number you need for max speed. Always do lots of testing before you decide. I have yet to find any loco needs more than 10 cells. Otherwise you don't get use of the full range of throttle movement. Some of my friends like to boast "look it's going at just a nice speed with only half throttle", and I say "so what? - means you've got too many cells". Also means you're running at a lower frequency PWM signal and are more prone to motor 'whistle'.

KleineDicke

Trains, trains, and trains. Oh, did I mention tra
24 Oct 2009
Houston, Texas
Best answers
gregh said:
Terrific work Bill.
Great description and photos, but I did miss the pic of the 1:20 scale crowbar you must have used to fit it all in ;)

You did touch on the fact that you could have used fewer battery cells.
I think that it's really important hint to all prospective battery convertees. ie To use the minimum number you need for max speed. Always do lots of testing before you decide. I have yet to find any loco needs more than 10 cells. Otherwise you don't get use of the full range of throttle movement. Some of my friends like to boast "look it's going at just a nice speed with only half throttle", and I say "so what? - means you've got too many cells". Also means you're running at a lower frequency PWM signal and are more prone to motor 'whistle'.
The PWM squeal is the one annoying thing about my conversion. I did wire my battery pack so I have a 12v and a 14.4v takeoff from it and I might just try to run on 12v to see if I like it better.

The tiny crowbar is a proprietary device and I can't let all me secrets out. ;) C'est dommage.