MRC AD322 sound decoder

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone have any experience of running MRC AD322 decoders with LGB Central Station and the loco remote - or might be able to give me the benefit of informed guesswork?

I've fitted an AD322 and programmed it OK but the sound is too loud. According to the instructions I should be able to turn off the sound with F8. I've tried pressing F then 8 on my Loco Remote (55016p) but it makes no difference other than making a bell sound. The instructions also say I can double click the headlight button (F0) to turn off the sound. I've tried clicking the 9 button twice - no effect other than turning on and off the headlight.

I do also have a 55015p Universal remote which I seldom use as I've no instruction manual

A few questions to you DCC experts.
[*]Can I replicate F buttons on my Loco Controller (eg bells, horns and couplings are on F1-4)?[*]Any ideas as to how I can turn down the volume (either digitally or electronically (eg wiring a resistor in line with the speaker))[*]If all else fails, will it be OK to wire an on-off switch into the speaker wire to turn off the sound? Any suggestions, guidance or advice gratefully received.

Rik

PS the instruction leaflet for the decoder can be found here, if that's any help:
http://www.modelrectifier.com/resources/trainsound/AD322.pdf

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
No experiance but when it quotes press F8 it will just mean to press button number 8 for function number eight and not the F button followed the 8 button.
Also is you handset in serial or parralel mode?
Does the L flash eight times then its Serial mode the later decoder will proberably only cope with parralel inputs so the L will just flash once when button 8 is pressed.

Hope it helps

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
As Steve suggests, set the handset to send parralel commands for this loco - Press F + 9 together to switch between parralel/serial modes.

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
As Steve suggests, set the handset to send parralel commands for this loco - Press F + 9 together to switch between parralel/serial modes.

Thanks - it's definitely in parallel mode (but hadn't realised until now you could switch between the two).

Tried pressing the number buttons but all of those listed (1-4) and 8 seem to give the bell sound. Can't get any other additional sounds out of it. Just can't figure out how to turn off the diesel sound - tried every button and combinations of buttons, so think I'll wire a physical switch into the speaker lead. The sound ain't that wonderful but it will keep my young nephew amused, no doubt. Personally, I can live without it.

Rik