More Coal Firing Testing

JRinTawa

Member of the Wellington Garden Railway Group
25 Oct 2009
Tawa
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
I am still so very much at the bottom of the coal firing learning curve, but I thought you might like to share some of the most recent firing as I tested out the RC I've just finished fitting onto Namu's regulator. Namu being by DJB Model Engineering kitset loco.

Reactions: 8 users

TLR

anything to do with model L/S loco's boats etc
24 Oct 2009
Clacton on sea Essex
Best answers
Impressive

Shaun

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Please more videos of your beautiful layout!
By the way - when you still feel the need for training - just watch this London, Midland, and Scottish Railway's Steam Firemans Training Video ;)

Reactions: 2 users

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Beautifull as usale john.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
By the way - when you still feel the need for training - just watch this London, Midland, and Scottish Railway's Steam Firemans Training Video ;)

Interesting film! I was surprised at the quality of the coal (not graded - more like (to use a Yorkshire description!) nutty slack with a few cobbles. Nutty slack is fines with a few small lumps and Cobbles are large lumps like the fireman was breaking up!

65 1057

Railways @ 1.435 mm/ 1.000 mm/ 750 mm and 45mm
9 May 2018
Berlin
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you Mick! I'm happy to add "nutty slack" to my railway dictionary.
In east germany this type of coal grade was usually called "cossack grid" (Kosaken-Kies), means the russian friends delivered (again) a very low quality.
When I made my fireman license at the DR/HSB in 1992, they trained me how to "strew" the cossak grid evenly over the firebed. Target: 4 shovels have to make the exhaust black...

Reactions: 1 user

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
my dad hated welsh coal,,,, he said that western men would try and fill up with midland region coal as it was better,,,

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
my dad hated welsh coal,,,, he said that western men would try and fill up with midland region coal as it was better,,,
That's a surprise - I thought that welsh coal was meant to be the secret ingredient of GWR loco performance :think::think::think::think:

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
That film is on a DVD entitled “Just for the record”. The DVD is very informative.

daveyb

badger tickling, sheep worrying
25 Oct 2009
nr st andews scotch land
Best answers
Country flag
That's a surprise - I thought that welsh coal was meant to be the secret ingredient of GWR loco performance :think::think::think::think:
apparently it burns like a cauliflower,, and western locos were designed to burn it my dad did not think much of it!

Reactions: 1 user