Modifying a Mamod Engine

Cre8or

Registered
13 Sep 2010
Chislehurst, Kent
Best answers
I'm heading toward a 45mm garden railway with I.O.M stock, and I'm thinking of keeping and modifying my Mamod engine to run around the coaches. So I want to change the standard mamod coupling to a chopper coupleing to match the carriages. While I'm on that subject, can you actually run the stock with only the chopper coupings, or do you need a rubber band too?

On modding a mamod, it's one of the really old ones, and I'm wondering how to strip it down and change it a bit, but I can't seem to find any instructions about taking it apart. Is taking the blind rivets out with a drill the best/only way? Where can I get minature bolts to replace the rivets with? Are there any bits of the mamod steam train that I really shouldn't take apart?

The mamod I have has a working steam chest and a rather nice dome that spring clips over the top. If I replace the wihistle, and add in a steam regulator, what do I do about the redundant steam chest (and keep the nice dome) and what about the hole that will be left in the bottom of the boiler? I assume that there is a simple pipe that goes up through the boiler into the steam chest to take the steam to the forward/reverse switch?

I suppose you might say that I'm a bit of a novice in this field, but I've got to start somewhere to understand it all. I know also that the mamod engine that I have is vastly simpler to the accucraft peveril that I'm saving up for when it is released in November (fingers crossed).

My first accucraft i.o.m. coach is on it's way, although there's no track to run it on yet! They're going cheep, what can I say.

I hope this is in the right bit of the forum after all that.

Cheers in advance,

Bill

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
Bill, the Yahoo 16mm group has the Mamod manual, many of the answers are there.

If you buy just the regulator, you can keep the dome, as it is fed by the rear bung, and you plug the tube in the dome. The main problem is you are keeping the old sightglass, one of the weak links on Mamod boilers vs. going with a new copper one.

Screws for the Mamod can be bought from any Mamod supplier if you want to keep the ME threads. Yes, drill out the rivets.