Micron to operate 2 servos ??

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Can a micron controller operate 2 servos for an onboard camera. I picked up a pan/tilt RC camera holder "Go-pro type" but to heavy for the track bends & would keel over & derail. So, i found a very light/small pan/tilt that works via 2 servos. Can i make a MR603 & a TX24 work these servos. Or i do have some spectrum receivers that maybe easier?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Just looked at my Deltang Rx and certainly 4 servos can be operated by a Rx65c, others likely similar. This will mean by default that one of the Micron Rx will be able to drive those servos, but you would really need to speak to a supplier to be sure you get tye correctly configured Rx. Good luck with programming them, a faf till you get to grips with the concept.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
You can program any of the P outputs to drive servos..
You may be limited by the number of controls you have available on your Tx24?

The Inertia control can be configured to control a servo, if you wish.

PhilP.

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Just looked at my Deltang Rx and certainly 4 servos can be operated by a Rx65c, others likely similar. This will mean by default that one of the Micron Rx will be able to drive those servos, but you would really need to speak to a supplier to be sure you get tye correctly configured Rx. Good luck with programming them, a faf till you get to grips with the concept.
Thanks. "a faf till you get to grips with the concept". I think that's the part that needs some brain training. or better tuition.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You can program any of the P outputs to drive servos..
You may be limited by the number of controls you have available on your Tx24?

The Inertia control can be configured to control a servo, if you wish.

PhilP.
I think the part that confuses me?. I link the receiver & transmitter. But how do i link a curtain knob or switch to operate the servo. Now i am using P1 & P2 for lights, so if i use P3 for the servo, what knob/switch is this operated buy. ? Or has this got to be programed in some way.
At worst i have a small spectrum hand control & receiver & i ca do it this way. But would of been nice all in one unit.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The transmitter modules have a number of pre-configured profiles, and these define what each Channel does.

So in a Tx22 or Tx24, Channel 2 is configured to convey the Selecta (Loco Selection) information, which is used along with the individual GUID of the module so that only receivers bound to this GUID/Selecta combination will respond.

In a Tx20, Channel 2 is used to transmit the 'state' of the Channel 2 input pin on the transmitter module.

So, the first thing you need to know is the Profile of the transmitter module, and to make things slightly more complicated, whether you are dealing with a Deltang Tx2 core transmitter module, or the new Micron MT01a module.
From this information, you will know which channels are assigned to which functions and controls on your transmitter.

Then we come to the receiver:
The MR603 receivers are quite versatile, and 'we' the suppliers using them can have our own configurations loaded into these 'at manufacture' (before supply) to 'us'.

So a Micron-supplied MR603 receiver (more universal, for road-models) would have different capabilities to a RC Trains supplied MR603 (my receivers are tailored towards rail-vehicle control).

This gets a little more complicated, because 'any' output can be programmed to do (almost) anything!
Example:
Channel1 is defined as the 'throttle' and responds to the Speed control knob of your transmitter.
This is defined within the configuration of the receiver, and by default H1 is the onboard PWM speed controller. This can be further configured, as centre-off, or low-off. - If the latter, then 'another channel' (default Channel3) is used to define the 'direction' (polarity of the PWM output).

So, back to your 'two servo' problem:
If you want to use a servo with a Micron-configured MR603, you will have to program 'something' because there are no pre-configured servo outputs in the four configurations loaded into the receiver at supply.
If you want to use a servo with a RC Trains configured MR603, then in Configs 1-3 Pin6 is defined as a servo output following the H1 speed controller output. - So the speed-control knob of your Tx24.
(I have this, as there are Soundcards configured to sit between the receiver speed output and a separate ESC input).

So, if (say) you are using the onboard PWM speed controller on the MR603 as centre-off, you 'only' need the Speed control on the Tx24 to operate this.
This means you could use the Direction control knob on your Tx24 to drive a servo.

To do this, you need to know that this information is carried on Channel3 from your transmitter, so to use Pin3 on your MR603 for this, you would program Pin3 to be a servo output controlled by Channel3.

The other control you have on your Tx24, is the Inertia control. - By default, this affects the rate of change over time, of the speed output of a receiver.
This can be changed to control Channel4. - This function is designed-in to the equipment already.
So you could (say) program Pin4 to be a servo output controlled by Channel4.

I can help you with the programming of this, but next week, when I am back home with the paperwork in front of me.

Alternatively, you could purchase a 'bespoke' MR603, from either Andy or myself, pre-configured to do what you want.
Using a bog-standard Spektrum receiver, could be a problem, as Selecta (Loco Selection) is proprietary to Deltang/Micron. - This will not matter if the receiver is switched off when you do not want to control it, but it would tend to respond for all Selecta positions on your Tx24.

You did ask! :nerd:
You will probably need to read this a couple of times, then lie down in a darkened room, before asking anything else? ;):D

PhilP

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I think the part that confuses me?. I link the receiver & transmitter. But how do i link a curtain knob or switch to operate the servo. Now i am using P1 & P2 for lights, so if i use P3 for the servo, what knob/switch is this operated buy. ? Or has this got to be programed in some way.
At worst i have a small spectrum hand control & receiver & i ca do it this way. But would of been nice all in one unit.
As Phillip says, but if you want to see some actual practice on YouTube look at ge_rik ge_rik ’s blog where he links his YT vids on Deltang, till I saw that I was completely flummoxed by the whole affair. Just to watch how the ‘flashing’ select move to next function to deal with helped me mire than words can say.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
The transmitter modules have a number of pre-configured profiles, and these define what each Channel does.

So in a Tx22 or Tx24, Channel 2 is configured to convey the Selecta (Loco Selection) information, which is used along with the individual GUID of the module so that only receivers bound to this GUID/Selecta combination will respond.

In a Tx20, Channel 2 is used to transmit the 'state' of the Channel 2 input pin on the transmitter module.

So, the first thing you need to know is the Profile of the transmitter module, and to make things slightly more complicated, whether you are dealing with a Deltang Tx2 core transmitter module, or the new Micron MT01a module.
From this information, you will know which channels are assigned to which functions and controls on your transmitter.

Then we come to the receiver:
The MR603 receivers are quite versatile, and 'we' the suppliers using them can have our own configurations loaded into these 'at manufacture' (before supply) to 'us'.

So a Micron-supplied MR603 receiver (more universal, for road-models) would have different capabilities to a RC Trains supplied MR603 (my receivers are tailored towards rail-vehicle control).

This gets a little more complicated, because 'any' output can be programmed to do (almost) anything!
Example:
Channel1 is defined as the 'throttle' and responds to the Speed control knob of your transmitter.
This is defined within the configuration of the receiver, and by default H1 is the onboard PWM speed controller. This can be further configured, as centre-off, or low-off. - If the latter, then 'another channel' (default Channel3) is used to define the 'direction' (polarity of the PWM output).

So, back to your 'two servo' problem:
If you want to use a servo with a Micron-configured MR603, you will have to program 'something' because there are no pre-configured servo outputs in the four configurations loaded into the receiver at supply.
If you want to use a servo with a RC Trains configured MR603, then in Configs 1-3 Pin6 is defined as a servo output following the H1 speed controller output. - So the speed-control knob of your Tx24.
(I have this, as there are Soundcards configured to sit between the receiver speed output and a separate ESC input).

So, if (say) you are using the onboard PWM speed controller on the MR603 as centre-off, you 'only' need the Speed control on the Tx24 to operate this.
This means you could use the Direction control knob on your Tx24 to drive a servo.

To do this, you need to know that this information is carried on Channel3 from your transmitter, so to use Pin3 on your MR603 for this, you would program Pin3 to be a servo output controlled by Channel3.

The other control you have on your Tx24, is the Inertia control. - By default, this affects the rate of change over time, of the speed output of a receiver.
This can be changed to control Channel4. - This function is designed-in to the equipment already.
So you could (say) program Pin4 to be a servo output controlled by Channel4.

I can help you with the programming of this, but next week, when I am back home with the paperwork in front of me.

Alternatively, you could purchase a 'bespoke' MR603, from either Andy or myself, pre-configured to do what you want.
Using a bog-standard Spektrum receiver, could be a problem, as Selecta (Loco Selection) is proprietary to Deltang/Micron. - This will not matter if the receiver is switched off when you do not want to control it, but it would tend to respond for all Selecta positions on your Tx24.

You will probably need to read this a couple of times, then lie down in a darkened room, before asking anything else? ;):D

PhilP
You will probably need to read this a couple of times, then lie down in a darkened room, before asking anything else? ;):D "Going for my 1st lie down" Thanks

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
You will probably need to read this a couple of times, then lie down in a darkened room, before asking anything else? ;):D "Going for my 1st lie down" Thanks
Did you look at Riks vids yet?

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
As Phil has explained, the main problem will be deciding which controls on the Tx24 will be used to operate the servos. You can reprogram the inertia knob to transmit on Ch4 which could control one of the servos proportionally, but then you have no other potentiometer on the Tx to control the other. You could use the direction switch, but that will then only get the servo to go from one pre-defined position to another.

An alternative could be to get Phil or Andy to construct you a bespoke tx with two pots to control the tilt and pan servos (sorry Phil, even more work for you).

Rik