G Scale, Travel, Steam Boats, Mechanical Music
24 Oct 2009
Preston
Best answers
Country flag
[STRIKE]My name is David and I have a drink problem[/STRIKE]
Sorry, wrong forum.
Not trains, but....
A colleague at work has been given a spirit fired engine. They have tried to fire it
with cheapo meths, but without success. Can anyone suggest a source of suitable high
quality sprirt.

corgi

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Best answers
I could stand corrected, but I thought that meths was meths.
I use it for thinning Tamiya paints brfore spraying.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
corgi said:
I could stand corrected, but I thought that meths was meths.
I use it for thinning Tamiya paints brfore spraying.

The trouble with meths is this that it contains water in unspecified quantities. In the U.K., if you meet the criteria and hold the necessary licence it is possible to obtain industrial, undyed, alcohol. Someone I know had his sample of this analysed and discovered the water content was 20%, goodness knows what the water content of some of the over the counter stuff may be!

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
At one time and I am going back many years just about the only place you could obtain meths was from a pharmacy.
it was a noticeably better product than that available now in DIY stores.
Perhaps pharmacies still sell the "good" stuff.

Steveford666

Women, engineering, photography, guitar plaoing, s
13 Jan 2010
Billericay, Essex
Best answers
Keith, you are right. It used to come in bottles with the fluting down the back.

David, I don't know if you can still get kerosene. I think I saw some in B&Q. The railway used to use it in signal lamps until it got too dear and they turned to paraffin. We used to say Haringay Park Junction using black oil in the signals. The signal lights were nearly always out.

Steve.

Chris Bird

Steam,gardening, photography
14 Dec 2009
Dorset
Best answers
David - I have a meths fired Lady Anne and it works just fine with the DIY store meths. This is not as good as the industrial or pharmaceutical stuff, but it should be fine. The reason is more likely to the wick adjustment or material. It is worth testing the burner on the bench to adjust them to give a nice even flame.

Steve - great story about the "black oil" - but Kerosene is the same as Paraffin and neither is any good for a meths fired loco - unless you want to set fire to it ;-)
Cheers
Chris

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
M
tac said:
ROSS said:
It would appear that "pure" meths can be obtained from those farmers shops in small country towns. My mate in Hampshire got some and says it is totally different from that which is usually available to the general public in DIY's etc.,

OT, but my great-uncle Jack had a so-called 'lightning pick-me-up' he would often employ whilst serving in the trenches in WW1.

1. Take a 1/3 pt straight-sided tumbler, and

2. Fill 2/3 with meth, and [/STRIKE]

[STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE][/STRIKE]3. Top up to near the brim with California Syrup of Figs, and

4. Add a heaped tablespoon of Andrew's Liver Salts.

5. Stir and drink it straight down in one.

He used to say that unless you had actually had your head blown off it was a certain reviver.
[STRIKE][/STRIKE][STRIKE]
[/STRIKE]
tac
http://www.ovgrs.org/ < Link To www.ovgrs.org
RLGSS Member

Meth's? Syrup of fig's? sounds like that would open the sluices at both ends!!!!

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Some years ago I bought some meths from a DIY store that, when it burnt, managed to either leach the zinc out of the brass fittings or coat them with copper. Whichever, I ended up with everything brass on the loco (dome, nameplates, boiler fittings, etc.) copper-coloured. It took a lot of Brasso to restore things to normal!

Methylated Spirits BP is available from pharmacies in 5ltr bottles, but you will probably need to order it. This is the best meths available without needing a license for Industrial Methylated Spirits (the clear stuff).

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
funandtrains said:
If they get snotty about being an individual I'm sure any local model club that has a bank account and a formal set up will be able to get a registration to buy Industrial Spirits.
They won't get snotty, but YOU need to fill in the application form and get a licence. I have one and it states my full name, the specific address at which it will be stored, and the maximum amount allowed to be obtained each year. This means that an application through your local model club is no good as it will not name you or your address. You also must notify them if you move house.

The 16mmngm modellers egroup has the application form in the Files section on its Yahoo page at http://groups.yahoo.com/group/16mmngm/files/meths/

Beware: this stuff is not cheap. I paid £8 for two litres the last time I bought some.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
i use what i believe is the US equivalent to industrial meths

-91% 'denatured alcohol' as we call it-the normal is 70%

91 is available from the pharmacy

is about a dollar for about a pint -barely any more expensive than the lower proof

i have used it on my fondue and chafing dishes-and it works much better-and ive used it to 'prime' my mountaineering stoves without sooting-it burns hotter quicker and cleaner than 70%- and evaporates very quickly too-ive used it on my mamod and to be honest it was a draw-the lower stuff takes longer to boil-the hotter may bubble the paint if it gets too high or out of control (as may the lower proof)

so the application may be dispositive-for a boiler id think hotter as normal meths just arent, but also dont evaporate as quickly-but have a wet rag close at hand 

-but normal meths are very controlable-give a less hot falme i presume

as an aside
the industrial stuff however is super for diluting ink for washes in weathering due to the fast evaporation and not soaking wood 

steveciambrone

trains, boats, planes
3 Nov 2009
Best answers
In the USA I buy 99.9% pure Methanol, the last time I bought it, the cost was $3 a gallon with a minumum buy of 5 gallons. Running low soon so I will need to go and purchase again. The local Shell distributor sells it but I have to provide my own container. It is also sold for use in race cars.
The 70 and 91% stuff in the USA has water in it and is not good for steamers.
Steve