Masterline switch drives

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Country flag
Is anyone familiar with Masterline switch drives? I am contemplating the idea of changing over to them from the EPL switch motors that I presently use. I believe the masterline drives are gear driven. But are they instantaneous or slow motion? How do the supplementary switches work with them?

Never heard of these Dan, but my first question would be, are they weatherproof and upto the rigours of being outside?

I did a Google search on these but the Train Li site has no info and every other link is a post by your good self....

Thanks Tim. I did see that review. The review talks about analog operation. But I don't seem to be able to find if it's DC or AC they want. And if they will operate with the EPL orange box.

Marc, I see the details on the Boehler site. From the looks of the LGB mounting plate, it appears that the arm has a pin pointing downward. Would this pin engage in the LGB point throw from the top?

The Kaleas site says up to 16V dc. Sounds like it's probably a reversable DC like the LGB motor, but I cannot find any full documentation with wiring diagram etc. to confirm this?

ROSS said:
Fulgurex do a slow motion switch. There's also one out under another name VERY similar to Fulgurex.
Lemaco I think - very similar but the motor is mounted at one end not in the middle (or maybe the Fulgurex is the one with end-mounted motor, but anyway I always remember that as the difference between the two brands!) Neither would be weatherproof without some major protection, nor would a Tortoise or those other blue things similar to Tortoise that have appeared on the market recently. There's also the cheap Conrad motor that's a similar operating speed to an LGB motor (not slow motion but it is motor drive not a solenoid), but again not weatherproof.

Madman said:
Thanks Tim. I did see that review. The review talks about analog operation. But I don't seem to be able to find if it's DC or AC they want. And if they will operate with the EPL orange box.

Marc, I see the details on the Boehler site. From the looks of the LGB mounting plate, it appears that the arm has a pin pointing downward. Would this pin engage in the LGB point throw from the top?
Yes, if I remember correctly, this is how it works. There was a detailed review of this drive in Gartenbahn Profi a while back - I will have a look and check the details etc. for you.

Marc

I received the following information from Axel Tillmann;
Masterline machines; Built in slow motion
Operates with an EPL 5075 orange box
Needs adapter plate to fit LGB turnouts
Supplementary switch built in
Pro-drive Machines; Built in slow motion
Operates with an EPL 5075 orange box
Fits LGB turnouts without any modification
Supplementary switch optional

The cost for both is about equal if you include the adapter plate for the masterline. If I have mi-interpreted any of the information Axel sent me, he will most likely correct me here.

I am weighing the value of converting to the Masterline machines. I have a slew of EPL machines that would have to be sold to help fund the change over.

Why not forget all the troubles of are they any good outside etc. Go for Air, simple to set up. Thoroughly reliable you will never want to go back to electrics.

Oh no why am I saying this, I have bought cheep from various bods after they have bought air and thought it too difficult!
JonD

dunnyrail said:
Why not forget all the troubles of are they any good outside etc. Go for Air, simple to set up. Thoroughly reliable you will never want to go back to electrics.

Yes I agree.

Does all of your stuff come second hand? What do you do after the demise of the supplier of the E-Z Air system. I know that there is now another supplier of the complete system in the USA (I'll post the link when I find it again!) or do you just make up your own system from mini pneumatics parts.
http://www.svrronline.com/PneumaticSwitch.html

http://www.gardenrailroadproducts.com/scripts/default.asp

I dabbled in the air system a few year back. I found that for the size of my railway, the cost was too great. I would still need to have electricity to activate some of the turnouts, as some of them are automatic using 17100 reed switches.
I can see the benefits of the air system however, for railways more suited to it.