Massoth transducer question

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

I have a Massoth Transducer module, the little blue thingy that allows you to connect LGB MTSII components to the Massoth Dimax bus - I bought it second-hand, the plan being that with it I can still use my LGB loco remote as a second handset to back-up my Navigator. Now, the transducer requires a separate power supply to drive the MTS bus side of its circuits, which according to the instructions can be anything that supplies either 16-24 volts DC or around 12-18 volts AC. What I'd like to do is to build a suitable power supply into a small case with the transducer and the MTS radio receiver (mounted outside on top of the case) so that I have a self-contained unit; any suggestions as to a small compact power supply that will do the job? I'm assuming it doesn't need much of an amp rating, because it's only powering the bus electronics. Is there something nice and small that I could get from (say) Maplins that would suit?

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I use an old LGB analog controller to power mine (50080 i think)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
I use an old LGB analog controller to power mine (50080 i think)

Yes, that was my original plan, but then (inspired by a magazine article - in German, but with lots of nice piccies) I had the idea of building it all into one box so I didn't have lots of separate components with cabling everywhere; hence I'm looking for a small self-contained power supply that'll do a suitable voltage without being as bulky as an LGB transformer/controller. The one in the article seemed to be using a simple uncased mains transformer inside the box, but I'd rather get some sort of ready-assembled PSU that I can use.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I guess this transducer doesn't use a lot of current, so what about using an old plug type transformer? The ones like you get with a mobile 'phone for charging.

I might have something here that'll do the job....