Massoth LS to 10-way DCC plug....?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
One for Muns, Whatlep or any of the other Massoth experts out there....

If you have a loco (eg: a newer LGB type) with the 10-way DCC interface socket, how do you connect a Massoth LS to it? Can you do so without having to solder any wires direct to the LS board (ie: using only the available plug-in connections)?
Obviously you need the 10-way plug and harness, but I have some spares of those that came with XLS decoders; wiring an XLS to the 10-way connector is straightforward, just follow the manual, but the connections for the smaller LS are not so obvious (and not explicitly covered in the LS manual, as far as I could see).

Thanks in advance,

Jon.

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
It is dead easy - you talk to Muns. As simple as that.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, that's the easy route - would still like to know where the connections go though, partly from sheer curiosity and partly in case I need to do one myself..... ;)

Jon.

Edit: just a quick question on forum functionality.... I had always assumed that only the person who asked a question (usually the originator of the thread) could award a "helpful answer received" yellow box to a subsequent poster? Obviously this is not the case, and anyone can do it, as in this case it wasn't me..... no offence, Alan, because your answer WAS helpful, it's just that someone other than me marked it as such? ;)
Just wondering if anyone can clarify how that works?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
Yes, that's the easy route - would still like to know where the connections go though, partly from sheer curiosity and partly in case I need to do one myself..... ;)

Thats the question I asked Muns and he came up with the straight forward solution. He can supply an LS with a 10 pin connector.

Jon.

Zerogee said:
Edit: just a quick question on forum functionality.... I had always assumed that only the person who asked a question (usually the originator of the thread) could award a "helpful answer received" yellow box to a subsequent poster? Obviously this is not the case, and anyone can do it, as in this case it wasn't me..... no offence, Alan, because your answer WAS helpful, it's just that someone other than me marked it as such? ;)
Cant actually answer that myself. i have never looked in to it. I guess anyone who finds the response useful can mark it as such!

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:

Jon.

0i can..and did, as alans asnwer seemed a resable replie to your quesrt0ion, unles you see a fault with it;)

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
If you have a loco (eg: a newer LGB type) with the 10-way DCC interface socket, how do you connect a Massoth LS to it?

I had a quick look and it seems to be possible. Just connect the appropriate wire from the 10 way plug to the appropriate connector on the L. Get the definition of each wire in the 10 way connector from one of the other Massoth decoder manuals. I'm sure someone else can put someting definitive on here. You will of course need some of those crimp on connection things for connecting to the pins on the L. I've got a few if you need some.

Zerogee said:
Can you do so without having to solder any wires direct to the LS board (ie: using only the available plug-in connections)?

I don't think so, the A2 function on the L seems to be a solder pad only. You probably don't need to connect this at all, but then whatever it is controlling (usually the smoke I think) wont be controllable.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cliff - the question was about an LS, not an L. They are very different beasts from a connection viewpoint.

I defer to Muns on this as I'm not a sound chip expert (though don't stop offering up the flattery in your first post!), but I understood that the LS comes supplied with mini-CT cables to connect to the all important lights (4-way) and function (S1/2 3-way) plugs? If not, you need those cables and the wiring chart from the 10-way cable to connect each wire correctly. I assume (but would check with Muns) that the motor/track wires can be spliced into those coming off the LS.

Personally I'd have Muns do it for you. The wires on the mini-CT cables are two thin for my ageing fingers to cope with!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
mike said:
Zerogee said:

Jon.

0i can..and did, as alans asnwer seemed a resable replie to your quesrt0ion, unles you see a fault with it;)

Well, Alan's answer told me why I didn't need to know the answer to the question, rather than actually answering the question.... a subtle difference! ;)
As I said, I'm still curious to know where all the connections go in case I should ever want to do the job myself on a decoder I already have.
If soldering is required then I would ask the favour of Muns or Gizzy without hesitation - but if it's just a matter of connecting wires to plugs then it's a practical DIY job for me.
Anyway, thanks for the clarification on how that bit of the forum works, handy to know for the future! :D

Jon.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Cliff - the question was about an LS, not an L. They are very different beasts from a connection viewpoint.

I defer to Muns on this as I'm not a sound chip expert (though don't stop offering up the flattery in your first post!), but I understood that the LS comes supplied with mini-CT cables to connect to the all important lights (4-way) and function (S1/2 3-way) plugs? If not, you need those cables and the wiring chart from the 10-way cable to connect each wire correctly. I assume (but would check with Muns) that the motor/track wires can be spliced into those coming off the LS.

Personally I'd have Muns do it for you. The wires on the mini-CT cables are two thin for my ageing fingers to cope with!

Thanks Peter (and Cliff) for your input - I think you've nailed most of it, the lights and functions 1 and 2 are certainly there as sockets, the only one I'm not 100% sure about is the GND connection - whether that is available anywhere on the LS apart from as a solder pad on the underside (where you connect the power buffer if used). I'm happy with splicing wires, even the tiny CT cable ones, but I don't fancy soldering direct to the board!
Anyway, please don't worry too much about this - it was only a hypothetical enquiry for the future, I'll talk to Muns if/when I actually need to do it.

Incidentally, as a supplementary question - anyone got any idea why Massoth and others label the functions with different prefixes? I've seen what are presumably the same functions variously listed in different places as, for example, "F1", "A1" or "S1"....?

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
Oh yes, my apologies.

Note to self: Engage brain before committing fingers to keyboard!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Cliff George said:
whatlep said:
Oh yes, my apologies.

Note to self: Engage brain before committing fingers to keyboard!

Don't worry, Cliff, we all do that at times.....! ;)

Jon.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
.... the only one I'm not 100% sure about is the GND connection - whether that is available anywhere on the LS apart from as a solder pad on the underside (where you connect the power buffer if used).

Yes it is available on two solder pads but also available on the clock socket, reed socket and volume control socket. That is assuming I'm talking about the correct decoder this time!

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks again Cliff - so any of these sockets can be used to provide a common GND connection, they are not in any way specific to those function sockets? Sorry if that's an electrically silly question, just getting it clear in my head. If that's the case, then I think that covers all the required connections for the 10-way harness! Result!
Though I'll still ask Muns to do it for me when I buy a new decoder from him..... ;)

Jon.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Zerogee said:
Thanks again Cliff - so any of these sockets can be used to provide a common GND connection, they are not in any way specific to those function sockets? Sorry if that's an electrically silly question, just getting it clear in my head. If that's the case, then I think that covers all the required connections for the 10-way harness! Result!
Though I'll still ask Muns to do it for me when I buy a new decoder from him..... ;)

Jon.

Not a daft question at all. What you have on the lights and F1/F2 connections and power buffer solder pads is (24 volts negative) GND with the capacity to put through the circuit a fair number of milliamps. Up to 1.5 amps on the buffer socket. Not sure if that capacity is the same on the other sockets which are intended for lower voltage items. Unless others have a definitive answer, I'd use the GND on the lights or F1/2 sockets via cables, or solder to the power buffer GND.

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
I have a feeling Mark/Muns is going to be busy making wiring harnesses.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Well, the LS is available (specifically for the IK) that has a 10 pin connection prewired) but alas I do not have any.

In the mean time it looks like I will make up some harnesses. I will create a thread on how to do it when I make Alan's (and a few more) up this week.

Can anyone tell me the height of the pin connections on the LGB board?

stockers

24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Dont know Mark, and I have put the lid back on the IK, but the 10 pin socket that comes with the XLS fits perfectly - if thats any help.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Well, the LS is available (specifically for the IK) that has a 10 pin connection prewired) but alas I do not have any.

Does that mean you'll be able to get a few, Mark? They will be useful for a few other locos as well as the 1K, I know I could use at least one if not two, but would be happy to wait for you to get them in. I presume they will be reprogrammable for other sound files, like the normal LS?
Do you reckon they will be the same price as a standard LS, or will there be a premium on them for the special harness?

Jon.

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Zerogee said:
muns said:

Does that mean you'll be able to get a few, Mark? They will be useful for a few other locos as well as the 1K, I know I could use at least one if not two, but would be happy to wait for you to get them in. I presume they will be reprogrammable for other sound files, like the normal LS?
Do you reckon they will be the same price as a standard LS, or will there be a premium on them for the special harness?

Jon.
I will check on availalility tommorrow.....I believe that the price is the same - will check.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
muns said:
Zerogee said:
muns said:

Jon.
I will check on availalility tommorrow.....I believe that the price is the same - will check.

I take it this is the one - found here on Grootspoor, about £106 (the same price as their regular LS), plus overseas postage of course which makes your price still very competitive, Mark! ;)

http://www.grootspoor.com/massoth-8...ap, that would be even better..... Jon.