Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Roly,

I'm pretty sure mine's got an XL in it - I'll have to check my notes. From memory, I think it was a case of removing 4 screws to remove the bunker behind the cab, then I think I simply disconnected certain wires from screw terminals on the Bachmann board and re-wired them to the appropriate terminals on the XL. I've got a vague memory that I may have sited the decoder beneath the Bachmann board. It certainly wasn't a difficult install so nothing stuck in my memory as being a problem!

Nick

PS: The Mikado's running nicely - it now has a new smoke unit from Cornwall Model Boats! Damned if I can get it to respond to a long address on my NCE system, even though the decoder seems to accept the programming and returns a long address when queried by my SPROG and JMRI. Must be a decoder version that's too old. No problem, short address is fine! Seem to remember my LGB mogul with a 55021 decoder is the same.

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Think I would err on the side of caution and go for the XXL

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I checked, yes I did indeed put an Emotion XL in my 3-truck shay. Personally I reckon a 3 amp decoder should be just fine, though I did read elsewhere that someone found they could trip a 4A breaker when theirs was running uphill with a heavy load. I didn't note down any current measurements but I doubt it's even pulling 1.5 amps in normal service on my line. Bachmann motors are usually pretty efficient. The shay is a powerful hauler but low-geared. If you think you might be hammering yours then go for an XXL as philbahn suggests.

No, I've done nothing with the motor capacitors. It seems to run just fine as-is.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Roly
I am glad the Shay arrived safely. Was hoping that it had!
Go for something that can handle 4+ amps. You could get away with a 3 amp decoder but when everything is running (lights, smoke, sound if you have it and the three motors) when under a load you could well trip the decoder or possible frazzle it!

She looks good doesn't she?

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Roly,

Just looked at the box for my 3-Truck Shay and noted that HobbyBahn fitted it with a Massoth XL decoder at the same time as a Phoenix sound system was installed. Have not had any problems when operating the loco.

Nick,

Still can't find the Tsunami decoder. I'll follow your instructions to remove the bunker and see if anything is still lurking in the loco.........