Mangling a Merry Go Round

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
I REALLY, REALLY wanted a Lemax or Mr Christmas carousel to use with the trains when I do road trips. OTOH, I could never justify $100+ for one. This morning Kim found me this at the flea market for whole 75 CENTS! Small (about 5" around and 9" tall), kind of meh looking, but my kind of price!
P6270001.jpg

We tried it, and it worked... The 15 second timer feature was kind of nice, but the electronic music box was beyond horrid....AND, the top didn't turn :( Never one to leave well enough alone, it was time to see what made it tick. I got the bottom apart OK, It was held together with screws.... But the top was glued tight and idiot proof.... So, I did what any self respecting idiot would do... I took the marquee in one hand and the axle in the other, then twisted and pulled until something snapped inside and it came apart :D
P6270002.jpg

The axle inside was hollow plated brass... kind of like a radio antennae.. It broke where it was drilled for a kotter pin you couldn't get to.... a bit of brass tube took care of that problem. Next to go was the music box. Again I used the most expedient method.... Everything went bye-bye but the motor and gearbox.... I'll be using a 3v transformer plug and momentary switch to control it.
P6270006.jpg

It came with 3 white horses, and a reindeer with Santy Claus riding.... The deer could stay, but Santa simply had to go. These things are some sort of soft vinyl, like an expensive plastic eraser.... A bit of carving with an x-acto knife, and the jolly old elf became just another fat kid... The 3 white horses sort of offended my sense of symmetry, so the one opposite the deer got painted brown.
P6270005.jpg

To keep everything together, I did the same thing the factory did... used a kotter pin. I also painted over some of that abundant red.
P6270007.jpg

Back together, the LEDs in the Marquee are no longer wired, but the top now turns with the carousel... A fair trade, I think. I also added some plastruct steps, they'll probably get painted red and blue tomorrow....
P6280008.jpg

I'll probably eventually build an open Gazebo around it to make it look bigger. It's still not a Lemax, but IMO not too bad for 75c and 3 hours of foodling around.

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Well you've brightened my morning up! Well mangled I say and, as for the purchase price, well it's my kind of bargain! Well done.

Mick

Mik

Steam tractors, good books, scratchbuilding models
17 Dec 2009
The wilds of Western Pennsylvania
www.the-ashpit.com
Best answers
Those that know me were probably taking bets on how long I could 'leave well enough alone' on this.... Official answer -- 2 days....

First I decided it still looked funny because the apron was so much smaller than the marquee. A bit of acrylic and some brass rod solved that... but then the base was so small it looked like it would topple.... A bit of 2x6 and some brick sheeting solved that. Then the fat kid got a new head... then I added a girl riding sidesaddle half way around.... then a couple gaslights... then started on adding a fence.... then it was beddytime, because I have to take the dog to the vet's in the morning... So I had to stop.

P6300002.jpg