Making signs for outdoors

gregh

electronics, computers and scratchbuilding
1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
www.members.optusnet.com.au
Best answers
Country flag
A couple of wet days kept me inside so I decided to make a few signs for my stations etc.

The method I use is to print a mirror image of the sign on clear plastic. This is then 'stuck' to the required backing so that the ink side is under the 'glue' and protected from the weather.

For text only, I use WordArt and drag the text across itself to produce the mirror image.
Or you can use MSPaint or other photo editing program to produce a bmp picture of your words and/or picture. Then mirror image the final result using the 'rotate' or 'mirror' functions.
Here?s an example of a page that contains some station name boards, level crossing signs and some beer adverts for my pub.

11d06137158e41ee8cb903609362e373.gif

Now print on clear plastic, such as used for overhead transparencies. I get my local print shop to do this for a better result than my bubble-jet can do. Costs a whole $4 for an A4 colour page. Note that what shows white on the screen will be clear when printed.

Now you have a clear sheet with the ink on the back when you look through the plastic. Turn it over and paint over the whole sheet including the printing with white acrylic paint so as to not dissolve the ink. After that coat is dry, I use the same paint to 'glue' the plastic to a styrene backing. Some of my signs have been outside for 15 years now with no deterioration. This method of using the paint as a glue only seems to work well for signs over say 3 sq inches. Less than this as there?s not enough ?stickiness?.

This is some of the beer signs from the above example, ?painted? onto 0.5mm styrene
668eeec61c7d4630b1caaf74ba1b3f0f.jpg

And installed?.
4a35dcd36830494d8906b4897e871830.jpg

e2eac0d42bda4d3fab69d03d4b7ca021.jpg

f484bf0011ec4590b23e99f146d30656.jpg

And this one is 14 yrs old ? the wood dowel posts are rotting but the sign is fine!
080a462cc56e4c879fa1c1beabc8fec7.jpg

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
They look great. Do you have any problems with sunlight fading the reds? I haven't used the clear film as you have (done it for "stained glass" top lights for tram windows) but have inkjet printed and then cut out and laminated. After 5 years most of the colour has gone.

Mick

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
pretty clever fellow
is there a special program or something for your signs?\

or is there a place for clip art like you have

i particularly like your hotel

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
That is a very neat and ding dang doo idea, I will have to play around with that

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
stevedenver said:
is there a special program or something for your signs?
or is there a place for clip art like you have
i particularly like your hotel

Word Art is available in my version of Word 2000 - go to View|Toolbars|WordArt and a little toolbar pops up. You can drag it into your other toolbars if you want it to display all the time.

MSPaint is available from Start|programs|Accessories|Paint
trammayo said:
Do you have any problems with sunlight fading the reds? I haven't used the clear film as you have (done it for "stained glass" top lights for tram windows) but have inkjet printed and then cut out and laminated. After 5 years most of the colour has gone.
Mick
To tell the truth the only reds I've used are in stained glass windows, not signs. They are not exposed to much sun, but I've had no visible fading. This one is 8 years old (original pic) - and doesn't have a lot of red to start with. Maybe the secret is the print shop laser printing???
95b24056a491440d8f53b2d7477944e4.gif

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Greg - thanks for your reply! My brother has a colour laser printer - I just need to twist his arm and (also) get hold of some laser printable transparencies!

Mick

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
They certainly look the biz. There is also another way which is a little cheaper and that is to use laser (or inkjet) transfer/decal paper. This can be transparent or white background. You design up the stuff you want and then just print it to this paper. Cut out the separate decals and just soak and apply. After drying use a coat of varnish flat , sheen or glossy depending on your required result. I have used this methos on quite a bit of items, rolling stock, buildings etc.

All the striping, diner name, ads etc is the decal method

1a9767f3758d4728a255a12f29ff4aea.jpg

2d4d085962fb4b3c91e48d65f0ffa239.jpg

Same for this diner

1a9767f3758d4728a255a12f29ff4aea.jpg

And this garage/station scene..some of the signs are not decals but from Pola kits
2e044b3abe904abf930c1636ca78833d.jpg

The loco name and logo are both homemade decals

744bcbf89c6d466a9ddb6c5a8852f81b.jpg

gregh

1 Nov 2009
Sydney, Australia
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
They certainly look the biz. There is also another way which is a little cheaper and that is to use laser (or inkjet) transfer/decal paper. This can be transparent or white background. You design up the stuff you want and then just print it to this paper. Cut out the separate decals and just soak and apply. After drying use a coat of varnish flat , sheen or glossy depending on your required result. I have used this methos on quite a bit of items, rolling stock, buildings etc.
All the striping, diner name, ads etc is the decal method
Very impressive - both the signs and the GR :clap:
I've used decals printed on my ink-jet, but they aren't very 'solid' colours, and won't go over dark backgrounds.