Making one 0-4-0 LGB shunter the slave of the other?

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I have two identical digital henschel shunters. I run analogue but these are both digital. One is dead with a popped decoder.

Can I, by passing cables, make them work together sharing the same decoder?

Ian

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
I have two identical digital henschel shunters. I run analogue but these are both digital. One is dead with a popped decoder.

Can I, by passing cables, make them work together sharing the same decoder?

Ian
I guess it depends on the decoder. If it is capable of driving 2 motors, and rated for double the current, then yes, as this is what is done in a Bo-Bo loco like the V52.

But if you are analogue, why do you want to do this?

Take the pooped decoder out and run it as analogue, or replace the decoder with a better one.

The Henshel I believe uses the small LGB decoder, which I understand to be the Achilles heel of these and the similar Kof locos; my own digi Kof has recently failed, and I will be investigating why this is fairly soon....

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I don't really understand it all basically. So I can just remove the decoder somehow and use it analogue track power somehow? sorry if these are dull quesions!

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
CoggesRailway said:
I don't really understand it all basically. So I can just remove the decoder somehow and use it analogue track power somehow? sorry if these are dull quesions!

No such thing as a dull, or daft question.

The answer is yes, but I'd have to look at my own one first to work out what to do?

But basically, it's a matter of identifying the wires from the motor, and the pickups, and linking these together.

Mike would probably be the best man to advise on this, as I can't remember the wiring colours from memory....

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
If it were a normal LGB 55021 decoder it would probably just be a case of removing the decoder and flipping some dip switches on the main board. But as you reckon it's probably the "small loco decoder" 55022, it may be a different arrangement.

Is this the loco that has the dcc operated couplings?

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
If its the yellow shunter from the digital starter set it will be a small on board decoder. This is only rated for 1 motor. If it is bypassed the lighting will need rewiring as it is 5 volt & the flashing lights need the decoder to flash.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
dutchelm said:
If its the yellow shunter from the digital starter set it will be a small on board decoder. This is only rated for 1 motor. If it is bypassed the lighting will need rewiring as it is 5 volt & the flashing lights need the decoder to flash.

Agree entirely. Here's a link to the exploded diagram for the functionally identical 22900 loco: http://www.champex-linden.de/lgb_pr...8F60BEEAB1B85256EE0006FDC86/$FILE/22900-1.pdf

If your decoder has gone "phut", getting any of the lights to work is tricky as you need diodes to get directional lighting. The simplest solution without any lights is simply to get access to the motor block and connect pin1 to pin 2, plus pin 3 to pin 4. That gives a basic motor circuit which you can use straight away. Page 4 of the link above shows how to get access. If you do things this way, the existing connector to the motor block can be pushed up into the loco body against the day you want to get more adventurous with lights or install a new decoder - a small Massoth one should fit.

By the way, LGB's standard wiring colours are:
Green - motor -ve
Brown - track -ve
White - track +ve
Yellow - track +ve

These are shown as German abbreviations on the motor block: gn/bn/ws/ge
Green (gn) and brown (bn) get connected, then do white (weiss/ws) and yellow (gelb/ge).

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Thankyou thankyou thankyou!!!

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
One once bust digital loco now merrily going round the loop as a fully operational analogue machine...

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
One once bust digital loco now merrily going round the loop as a fully operational analogue machine...

We aim to please! :D

Gizzy

26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
whatlep said:
CoggesRailway said:

We aim to please! :D
Nice one Coggy!

Just fixed my similar Kof Yella Fella which failed during an exhibition.

The plug connection to the chassis was loose....