Loop with crossover

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
I am laying my track in the form of a loop with a crossover from one side to the other. Obviously I cannot do this without some connectivity adjustments. My track system is LGB MTS. What do I need to do to make this possible whereby the polarity switches automatically?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
I cant quite follow your description - any chance of a diagram.

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You will have in principle a reversing loop and will need a fully isolated section.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Either the LGB reverese loop module as mentioned above, OR the Massoth equivalent.....

Massoth DiMAX Reverse Loop Module

(showing here as out-of-stock, but I'm sure Muns could order you one quite quickly....)

Oh, and of course you will also need two sets of track breaks of some sort - whether those are in the form of insulated railclamps, LGB yellow insulated joiners, or the LGB short (150mm) isolation straights - the type with BOTH rails gapped - is up to you.....

Jon.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Errr

Does the OP mean a 'figure of eight'? - A loop with a crossover??

Does not the LGB crossover track-section not need any of this? - It is only if the track loops-back to connect back to itself you need a reverse loop module. :think:

Think we need that diagram? :nerd:

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
The way I read it, Phil, was that the OP has a basically oval layout with a diagonal track across the middle of the oval, effectively forming two reverse loops - as opposed to a figure-eight with a central crossover .... but of course that might be an incorrect assumption!
I would agree that a diagram (even just a very rough sketch) would clarify this.....

Jon.

Bill Barnwell

Registered
30 Sep 2017
Ormond Beach, Fl
Best answers
Country flag
Errr

Does not the LGB crossover track-section not need any of this? - It is only if the track loops-back to connect back to itself you need a reverse loop module. :think:
Errr

Agree with.phili

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
In the hope of finding a little more info and maybe a track plan, I followed the link in the OP's sig line to the blog about the railway - to find that the latest posting mentioned a move away from track power, which would of course render the whole matter irrelevant.... I assume from the question posed here that plans have changed again since that?

Jon.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Errr

My thoughts too.

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
This is roughly what I am planning and need to know what LGB MTS components I need to get.
Cheers guys

Attachments

• _180928_184016_124._1.jpg
    _180928_184016_124._1.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 0

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
First things I would say:
1. If you go clockwise, you can only ever go round the outside loop. - Unless you reverse across the link.
2. If you go anti-clockwise, round the outside loop, you can enter the link from either top of bottom, but when you exit, you are then going clockwise. - See No.1

Of course this may not be a problem for you? But is quite limiting in 'play' value. :think:

Assuming the link across is not metres-long? You will need a reverse loop module for the left-half of the outside loop.
* I think that will do it, but am prepared for the wrath of others, if I have it wrong! ;)

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
This is roughly what I am planning and need to know what LGB MTS components I need to get.
Cheers guys

Yes, that's what I thought you meant in the first post.... as per earlier answers, if you want to completely automate the process under MTS control then you will just need a reverse loop module, either the LGB one or the Massoth equivalent.

Jon.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
You will need a reverse loop module for the left-half of the outside loop.
* I think that will do it, but am prepared for the wrath of others, if I have it wrong! ;)
Traditionally in the plain old DC world you double isolate the middle section between the two points, and have a DPDT switch to power that middle section from one end or the other. I would take the same approach with DCC and make the middle section the isolated section controlled by the reversing module.
Ideally you need that middle section long enough to hold the entire train, otherwise with metal wheels the poor reversing module will be flipping one way or the other repeatedly!

Reactions: 1 user

homestyal

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Wilmslow, Cheshire
Best answers
Yes, that's what I thought you meant in the first post.... as per earlier answers, if you want to completely automate the process under MTS control then you will just need a reverse loop module, either the LGB one or the Massoth equivalent.

Jon.
Thanks Jon.
I'm assuming I can fit it anywhere in the cross section. I will source the kit and read up about it's fitting.
Cheers

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You can fit it anywhere in the middle section, but as per post 16 - you want the section to be as long as possible.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
1. If you go clockwise, you can only ever go round the outside loop. - Unless you reverse across the link.
2. If you go anti-clockwise, round the outside loop, you can enter the link from either top of bottom, but when you exit, you are then going clockwise. - See No.1

Of course this may not be a problem for you? But is quite limiting in 'play' value. :think:

Assuming the link across is not metres-long? You will need a reverse loop module for the left-half of the outside loop.
You are probably right, but can you edit the word "play" & insert the correct word "test"?:nerd:

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
I think the correct term is 'operational flexibility'? ;)

Reactions: 1 user