Loksound 5 XL and MLGB Smoke Units

Diesel2000

Registered
18 Feb 2020
Chicago
Best answers
Country flag
I'm installing a Loksound 5 XL into an LGB 23945 V200. The sound and functions from the existing MLGB decoder are very limited and I also want to use it as a learning experiment for decoder installation and to try out the Loksound decoder. I have the motors, lights, and sound working as desired, but I'm unsure how to wire the stock MLGB smoke units. Has anyone tried wiring these to a Loksound decoder and can provide some guidance?

For reference there are a large brown/black wire pair, presumably for track power, and then 3 very small wires that run to a SUSI-type connector. I want to use AUX1 and U+, but not sure if the SUSI wires need connection or not to operate.

IMG_6529.jpg
IMG_6789.JPEG

bruno.degraeve

Bruno De Graeve
10 Oct 2021
Elsene (Brussels), Belgium
www.youtube.com
Best answers
Country flag
hello Diesel2000 Diesel2000 ,

This is probably a very late reply for your project. I recently faced a similar issue with a Massoth Rounded Smoke Generator. In the end, all I had to use, were the brown/black wires and connect them directly to the track. Beforehand, I configured the smoke unit with my DCC handheld/or JMRI, connected directly to the tracks. You give it a DCC address and on which Function the smoke should work.
See the discussion in this thread. Assumed is that your model, is similar as Massoth's DCC smoke unit.

1659371403172.png

Attachments

• 991061_BDA_Gepulster_Verdampfer_2018_04.pdf
    1.9 MB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Since it is a diesel, there is little benefit to synchronize the smoke unit with the motor/sound decoder. Hooking it to the track directly is easy.

Had this been a steam loco, you would have wanted to go with SUSI.

But there are recent discussions that go into much more detail about the smoke units and communications, so i would refer further discussion there, where it is in depth.

Reactions: 1 user