Loco lining with Trimline tape

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've just posted another entry on my blog showing what I've learned so far about lining locos with Trimline tape.

http://riksrailway.blogspot.com/2011/03/how-i-lined-locos-using-trimline-tape.html

I'm still working improving the way I create curves (eg round the cab doorway), but this third loco is better than the previous two. Hopefully, there's something here if anyone wants to have a go themselves.

IMG_4775.JPG
If anyone has any further tips to share, please feel free to chip in. I'm still learning.

Rik

jacobsgrandad

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
THankyou very much indeed for that. I found the explanations and pictures excellent for someone who has not yet got this far but hopes to in the future. Another target for the future!

Bram

Playing trains, Ballroom Dancing, Good Food & Wine
24 Oct 2009
Knowle
Best answers
Country flag
Great blog Rik, and a damn fine splendid job of lining out

jameshilton

Registered
22 Nov 2010
Near Llangollen, United Kingdom
ejklr.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very effective! Easier than using a bow pen I expect, although limited in colour options. I guess for a 2 colour effect you could always paint a stripe down the centre of the tape before it's applied too...

Martino

Photography, The GWR, Aviation, Travel, Cars.
24 Oct 2009
Jasper, Georgia. USA
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Very good Rik. It looks great and I enjoyed your blog too.

Very inspirational. It's a great looking engine.

owlpool

Welsh NG in the mountains. live steam
25 Oct 2009
Brecon Beacons, South Wales
Best answers
Country flag
GREAT.
CLEAR INSTRUCTIONS

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the feedback chaps.

The difficulty I'm finding with the curved lining is that by using a finger to fix the tape down, I can't see exactly where the tape is going until the finger is removed - by which time of course the tape has been fixed in place. A transparent 'finger' (eg an old Biro tube) might be better. I may try a few experiments and let you know the outcome.

Regarding the 'layered' lining. The tape does come in a range of colours and widths. Someone with patience could lay down one colour with wider tape and then lay another colour of thinner tape on top. The difficulty would be taking the wider tape around a curve - the wider the tape the more likely it is to buckle on the inside of the curve. I have overcome this by nicking the inside edge of the curve - but the curve then becomes stepped and loses its smoothness.

The other disadvantage of using tape is you can't really get nice radiused corners. Even the narrowest tape couldn't cope with that severe a curve.

But otherwise, it is possible to get a passable finish which passes the '10 foot rule'.

Rik