Live steam help

Mikecharlson

Registered
27 Feb 2022
Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, long time g scratch builder and operator here. I have a one year old lgb frank s that I would like to convert to automatic steam oiling, a powered oil pump of some kind. Can anyone offer a solution for this please? I have been looking on the train department website, and a few ebay steam sellers, I have turned up nothing remotely small enough to fit on the locomotive. I managed to seize one of the pistons on the left side, and have disassembled, cleaned and corrected this already. I don't want it to happen again. Thanks, Mike c.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Netherlands, near Aachen ;-)
Best answers
Country flag
A one year old LGB Aster Frank S? Cant be, they were manufactured around 1990.

Mikecharlson

Registered
27 Feb 2022
Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
It is one year old as of use, 1994? Issued. Bought unused, unopened and unseized. Ran fine initially.

Mikecharlson

Registered
27 Feb 2022
Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, I believe I did all that correctly. I may have run it too long without refilling the displacement tank, not sure. I corrected the problem (I hope) in the piston and cylinder, re assembled it this morning and ran it successfully 900 feet tonight before putting it away. It seemed to do well at low pressure and at a creep. What i am hoping to get guidance on is a retrofit to some kind of lubricator besides the displacement lubricator it came with. Is there an oiler that can be run longer or refilled under steam?

Mikecharlson

Registered
27 Feb 2022
Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
I have been using accucraft steam oil, when I run out I plan on buying green velvet, if that helps.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Displacement lubricator generally hold enough oil for a single run and some. As Max says you do need proper ‘Steam Oil’ it is very thick stuff and another oiler will not necesarily help if you are using the wrong stuff.

Never having had my hands a Frank, does it have a valve to regulate the flow of oil? If so it is possible that you may have had it turned too far and the oil all just spluttered through the cylinders.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
You should always clear out the old steam oil a renew it after every trip, the displaced steam turns to water and ruins the oil. I'm not sure what grade oil you're using but it must be the right sort. I don't think they an oil pump that small

maxi-model

UK/US/ROW steam narrow gauge railways 1:1
27 Oct 2009
Bucks/Oxon/Northants area
Best answers
Country flag
Contact the guy mentioned in the link I posted. Marc Horovitz. Sidestreet/Garden Railroading Very knowledgeable and he posts on here sometimes. There are comments in that link that suggest there may have been some issues experienced with this loco's design that require some modifications and "tweaks" to aid its performance and running characteristics..

If you are having the problems you describe then it may indicate that there is a blockage somewhere. Generally live steam locos with displacement lubricators are designed to hold enough steam oil to last a full run, from a cold start, with the gas exhausting before the water in the boiler and steam oil in the lubricator's column. Hence you may find it difficult to find a pump driven one for this application and scale. The displacement lubricator is sufficiently "upstream" of the cylinders to ensure even dispersal of the oil to both cylinders.

As mentioned previously some locos are fitted with an adjustable flow displacement lubricator. Accucraft fitted one to their 1:20.3 scale 3 cylinder Shay in later production runs of that model, after problems caused by a standard fixed flow type. I have one. I remember using the wrong grade steam oil in that one and a very helpful Accucraft service agent, Mike Darby, cleaned out the lubricator's atomising pipe and super heater, that had become gunked up because I used the wrong grade steam oil - symptoms, drop off in performance as the cylinders started to seize due to oil starvation. Max

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Mikecharlson

Registered
27 Feb 2022
Kansas
Best answers
Country flag
The lubricator passages are an aspect of this engine I have not explored yet. As far as I see, no valve of any kind on the lubricator. I am cleaning to tank of oil, using accucraft steam oil. Thank you all for the advice, I will try the offered remedies.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
On these little engines there is no use for thick oil as the pressures involved are very low. use 220 grade steam oil, NOT the thick stuff others supply which is more suitable for 1:1 scale superheated steam pressures up to 16 bar.

A valve for regulating the flow is not present and not needed, Just use Roundhouse oil, aka 220 bearing oil.

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
You should always clear out the old steam oil a renew it after every trip, the displaced steam turns to water and ruins the oil. I'm not sure what grade oil you're using but it must be the right sort. I don't think they an oil pump that small
Except that "ruined" (emulsified) oil is EXACTLY what the loco needs and creates in the displacement lubricator, and it will separate back in to water and clean clear oil given time. Throwing it away wastes oil, and money. Drain the water only, not the oil.

palmerston

trains
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Except that "ruined" (emulsified) oil is EXACTLY what the loco needs and creates in the displacement lubricator, and it will separate back in to water and clean clear oil given time. Throwing it away wastes oil, and money. Drain the water only, not the oil.
Not possible on this locomotive. The lubricator/ oil tank does not have a drain plug and is horizontally located instead of vertically as with RH and ACC! The filler plug is centered and you will need a syringe with a short end of tube in order to reach both ends inside the little tank (lubricator) to suck the condensate out. Topic starter states he has the LGB Aster manual and all original supplies so the syringe is at hand.

Last edited:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
As Palmerston says, not all locos have a discharge screw, and to be honest my loco that does, I leave to drip until the oil appears. My Mamod Brunel uses it all before it runs out of steam:mad:

24 Jan 2010
Porthmadog, North Wales
www.rhoshelyg.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Not possible on this locomotive. The lubricator/ oil tank does not have a drain plug and is horizontally located instead of vertically as with RH and ACC! The filler plug is centered and you will need a syringe with a short end of tube in order to reach both ends inside the little tank (lubricator) to suck the condensate out. Topic starter states he has the LGB Aster manual and all original supplies so the syringe is at hand.
A friend of mine has one. He leaves it until next run, sticks the syringe In, sucks out water from bottom until he starts drawing oil, then tops up the oil. Works just fine.