Little Loco & other Loads

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
I recently acquired a large lot of mostly LGB wagons and locos from an estate - the more interesting ones I will share photos of when they get here. However, I do have one big pic of the collection and there are some small items that I know nothing about.

These little locos were, I think, a load on a freight car originally? Don't they have a funny name? And what about the 2 small yellow trucks/vans, which I don't recall seeing before.

Misc-1-little-locos.jpg

The other item I don't recognise is a small crane:

Misc-1-little-crane.jpg

There is a small flat car in the lot - would it have been mounted on that?
Are all these LGB accessories?

Any help gratefully received.

P.S. Here's why I was intrigued by the collection. #3 is a 2017 painted black, but the other 'inspection' loco/coach seems to have been made on a Bachmann 2-4-2 chassis, which I know how to fix if the gear is split. There's also a short coach about the same length with a pair of very short trucks. More to come. . .

Inspection-1.jpg

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers
From the LGB LEHMANN GNOMY range........
LGB LEHMANN GNOMY.jpg

LGB 40043 Crane wagon
LGG 40043 Crane wagon.png

Last edited:

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. Now I have to find the frame for the crane. ;)

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I thought the little LGB Gnomy Stainz models where simple friction toys for kids? I'm sure we have one somewhere along with a couple of coaches, possibly a tram model as well. I have memories of seeing them for sale loose in a large clear plastic "tub". I'll have to go on a hunt for them.....

voodoopenguin

Retired
20 Jul 2015
Blofield, Norfolk
Country
Norfolk-Island
Best answers
Country flag
This is my Gnomy friction motor tram alongside a Hornby O gauge Milk traffic van for size comparison.

gn.jpg

Paul

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
LGB 40043 Crane wagon
LGG 40043 Crane wagon.png

Hmmm.. Looking around the assortment (which I only have a photo of at this point,) I find a couple of flat cars that look like the one Shed pictured. There might be

Misc-2-flatcars.jpg

There might be a flat piece that the crane sits on that I am missing, but all will be revealed next week when the shipment arrives.

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Thank you. Now I have to find the frame for the crane. ;)

Hmmm.. Looking around the assortment (which I only have a photo of at this point,) I find a couple of flat cars that look like the one Shed pictured. There might be

View attachment 293555

There might be a flat piece that the crane sits on that I am missing, but all will be revealed next week when the shipment arrives.
The yellow flat truck is the one and I've attached the plans so you can see what you're looking for.

Attachments

• LGB Toy Train crane spares.pdf
    218.4 KB · Views: 0

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
attached the plans so you can see what you're looking for
That's a big help. I got the idea from the pic of the 40043 that there was a piece that slotted in to the stake pockets on the flatcar, used to pivot the crane. That may be the piece I don't have, but who knows. Let's wait until the whole kit and kaboodle turn up!

Thanks to all for the help.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag

playmofire

Registered
23 Oct 2010
North Yorks
Best answers
Country flag
Gnomy Trams, Wagons and Carriages have featured quite a bit in UK 7mm narrow gauge model bashes at Show layouts.
PandSHobbies always seem to have a tub of them in one guise or another on the counter in their Scarborough shop.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
But you very rarely see (new) other than the open-back lorry, and the mini-Stainz.. :(

Ccharman

Registered
21 May 2020
UK
Best answers
Country flag
There were also Christmas versions in the Gnomy series, some of which had a string to hang on the tree.

Fred2179G

Registered
20 Apr 2017
USA
Best answers
Country flag
Gnomy Trams, Wagons and Carriages have featured quite a bit in UK 7mm narrow gauge model bashes
Somewhere I read they were close to 1/64th, which would make them "S" scale [not uncommon in the US.] Which makes them a bit small for O scale?
I'm more curious about 'why' they exist at all - and if the answer is to bring joy to little people, then why are they featured as loads on the G scale cars?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They bring joy to big-people as well..
:nod::nod::nod:

Reactions: 1 user

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
I wasn't aware the Gnomy stuff has been loads on regular LGB wagons. A quick google seems to suggest only on "collectors" wagons such as LGB anniversaries?

I suppose if you needed a more legitimate reason then perhaps a miniature railway loco being transported?

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere I read they were close to 1/64th, which would make them "S" scale [not uncommon in the US.] Which makes them a bit small for O scale?
I'm more curious about 'why' they exist at all - and if the answer is to bring joy to little people, then why are they featured as loads on the G scale cars?
Hm where is that ‘Confused , I don’t know‘ emoji when you need it?

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Perhaps they're like children cooking, they had some left over plastic so made something smaller to go with the main dish