LITHIUM BATTERY WARNING

railwayman198

Registered
24 Oct 2009
East London
Best answers
Country flag
These are the same batteries we all have in our laptops, cameras and mobile phones?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Ross

Manufacturer's grim warnings duly noted, but lest the peasants (me!) run amok with fear about Li-ion cells, would it also be reasonable to say that:
1) any battery of any technology which is dropped has a potential risk of leakage
2) any battery of any technology which is shorted has a fire/ explosion/ leakage risk
3) batteries of any technology which are supplied with a charger should be expected to be inherently safe if used with that charger

Just my thoughts from the dung hill of technical knowledge. :D

chris m01

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Birmingham, UK
Best answers
Country flag
ROSS said:
4)If at any time you witness a battery starting to balloon, swell up, smoke or hot, discontinue charging process immediately

You don't say :D

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
You no doubt have heard about laptops catching fire.
Dodgy things these high power batteries.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Not wishing to waste any expensive chemicals, if a battery does leak can one use the Lithium to modify behaviour? :confused:

Only joking.........well I think I am......

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Not wishing to waste any expensive chemicals, if a battery does leak can one use the Lithium to modify behaviour? :confused:

Presumably depends where you insert it..... :mad:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
beavercreek said:
Well I suppository that it might come to that!

I knew we'd get to the bottom of things sooner or later. :rofl:

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I will have to [strike]analise[/strike] analyse it.......oh dear..........smut

Westcott

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Apperley, Glos
www.the-wests.com
Best answers
Industry report -

'Apple said it had received nine reports of batteries overheating, including two reports of customers who received minor burns from handling overheated computers. Others reported minor property damage. No serious injuries were reported.Experts say the overheating problem is due to a manufacturing error by Sony that introduced metallic impurities into some of its Lithium-ion batteries. Sony said the metallic parts may then intrude through the insulation, resulting in a short circuit that in rare occasions, "may lead to cell overheating and potentially flames."'

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
"1) Never charge batteries unattended. "

[style="color: #000000;"]I have to say that I don't see myself sitting sucking my thumb whilst my cordless drill/cameras or laptop are recharging.
[style="color: #000000;"]How on earth did such potentially catastrophic devices get past the Elf n Safety afficionadoes? Or do they only do helmets and steel toed boots?:-

yb281

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
KeithT said:

[style="color: #000000;"]I have to say that I don't see myself sitting sucking my thumb whilst my cordless drill/cameras or laptop are recharging.
[style="color: #000000;"]How on earth did such potentially catastrophic devices get past the Elf n Safety afficionadoes? Or do they only do helmets and steel toed boots?:-
From my experience I would suggest that this should be taken that it's a good idea not to leave batteries on charge when you leave the house or go to bed.

One of the problems surrounding issues with any certain manufacturer's goods posing a fire risk is that people who have issues don't inform the fire service. If a serious fire occurs, then obviously (you'd hope) they will dial 999, but if they catch an incident in the early stages (or they put the fire out) people will only tend to contact the supplier and/or manufacturer. They seem to think that notifying the fire service is unneccassary - maybe even embarrasing. BUT it's actually very important for a number of reasons;
1) They may THINK that the fire is extinguished, but it's actually still smouldering unseen. We used to get loads of serious incidents in this way (one or two actually led to fatalities).
2) SOME insurance policies won't pay out for a fire unless the fire service has attended, and (back on topic)
3) The officer attending (you won't neccasarily get a full attendance, depending on the circumstances) will fill in a fire report known as an FDR1. This will include details such as the make of any appliance etc. Every FDR1 in the country is analysed and trends (such as a certain manufacturer's batteries/chargers frequently catching fire) are actioned. This has led to thousands of re-calls etc. over the years from VW LT vans to some of the original Sony Playstations.
This is certainly a more effecient means of spotting possible problems than word of mouth. Quite apart from anything else, it means that the suppliers/manufacturers can't hide a fault and best of all ............ it's totally free!! :clap:

KeithT

Hillwalking, chickens and - err - garden railways.
24 Oct 2009
Nr Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
yb281 said:
KeithT said:

From my experience I would suggest that this should be taken that it's a good idea not to leave batteries on charge when you leave the house or go to bed.

One of the problems surrounding issues with any certain manufacturer's goods posing a fire risk is that people who have issues don't inform the fire service. If a serious fire occurs, then obviously (you'd hope) they will dial 999, but if they catch an incident in the early stages (or they put the fire out) people will only tend to contact the supplier and/or manufacturer. They seem to think that notifying the fire service is unneccassary - maybe even embarrasing. BUT it's actually very important for a number of reasons;
1) They may THINK that the fire is extinguished, but it's actually still smouldering unseen. We used to get loads of serious incidents in this way (one or two actually led to fatalities).
2) SOME insurance policies won't pay out for a fire unless the fire service has attended, and (back on topic)
3) The officer attending (you won't neccasarily get a full attendance, depending on the circumstances) will fill in a fire report known as an FDR1. This will include details such as the make of any appliance etc. Every FDR1 in the country is analysed and trends (such as a certain manufacturer's batteries/chargers frequently catching fire) are actioned. This has led to thousands of re-calls etc. over the years from VW LT vans to some of the original Sony Playstations.
This is certainly a more effecient means of spotting possible problems than word of mouth. Quite apart from anything else, it means that the suppliers/manufacturers can't hide a fault and best of all ............ it's totally free!! :clap:
It looks as if I shan't be leaving my cordless AEG drill to charge in the workshop whilst I do other things!&:
Cue for a certain Hilti adviser to step in here methinks.:D:D

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
ROSS said:
By the way..cordless drills with Lithiums. Some of the aeromodelling kids are taking the drill batteries apart and making up their own packs by soldering them together :banghead::banghead::banghead:
God knows how many accidents have occured.:bleh:

Fools rush in and all that.
GOOD AVIATION SAYING

"Safety is no accident":rofl:
That's shocking................................................