Light/NG Railway signalling practices

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
I know that among our esteemed group there are a few practising, lapsed or retired railway personnel - some of whom may have more than a working knowledge of light railway signalling practices.

I'm intending to add signals to my railway in the not too distant (sorry, accidental pun) future and wondered if anyone could point me in the right direction.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but most British NG railways would have (and probably still do) come under the Light Railways Act - but if they have more than one loco 'in steam' are required to have a basic block signalling system - yes?

It looks as if the Southwold managed to get away with having a starter and a home signal for each block (they appear to have used double-sided slotted signals). In the postcard here it looks as if they have a starter and an advanced starter which double up as a home and an inner home. Have I got this right?

I've not seen distant signals used on the SR. Were they necessary?

I'm intending to model somewhere around the end of the 1920s/early 1930s. The SR closed in 1929 and seemed to retain its primitive signalling system to the end.

I know Tag was asking for articles on signalling - so maybe I should wait until some appear in Garden Rail, but in the meantime, can anyone point me in the right direction for furthering my knowledge (or give me a short tutorial - or correct any misconceptions I have)?

Thanks

Rik

PS I believe old postcards fall outside copyright restrictions - but please let me know if I've got that wrong too.

EDIT: Typos

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Start with the admission - I am not an expert here.
Distant signals are not normally used on light railwats due to the low speeds. Most light railways are limilted to 25MPH and its not too hard to stop! :sick:
Most light railways actually did not have signalling. Some started off with it but quickly economised, VoR for example. I think the block token system was the most common type of train control, just using a simple train staff - No token machines.
Having said that, signals add character to a line and some preserved lines have over done the signalling for no better reason than the enthusiasts and public like them. Not nly that, it helpped Barbara Castle accept that enthusists could run a railway. (She was totally anti preserved railways back in the 70's.)

Thats my penny worth anyway :D

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Alan
My feelings too. Signals add character and make it look more businesslike. So, if I'm going to use them I want tomake sure I'm doing it right.

Rik

PS - I've still not added those outside toilets to my station buildings - it's on my todo list

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
o i like signals, just not sure were to stick um...
BEHAVE!! :clown:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Cheeky Monkey - 29/10/2009 6:51 PM

Barbara Castle, the Minister of Transport that couldn't drive :bighug:

She liked bridges though. Especially near marginal Humber constituencies. :thumbdown:

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Anyway, resisting Fred Drift's advances, a return to the subject. I've just looked at a book on the Colonel Stephens lines.

The standard gauge lines seem to have had "bare minimum" signalling. Fixed distants and all home signals at each end of the stations mounted on a single post. For example, at Teneterden, a single post had (on one side) the starter to Rolvenden and (on the other side) home signals for both main line and loop.

The Weston, Cleveden & Portishead ( yes, the WC&P!) used standard 1930s road traffic lights at one level crossing.

I think whatever you decide, it would be difficult to prove you wrong! :wave:

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
<p>Stockers and Whatlep have the right answers on distants etc, You can basically decide to have as much or as little as you want.</p><p>Train staff was used even if only one engine in steam if they also had engineers vehicles that could need to enter a section independently, it's no use for a line with several station though as you can't follow the train in front unless someone returns the staff by road.</p><p>Token system, may be housed in a hut or station building and worked by the crew but remember to have a lineside telegrah pole run for the system.</p><p>Signals operated from a signalbox, (sometimes within the station building and worked by station staff), supported by a token block or absolute block signalling system. This also needs telegraph pole runs to support it.</p>

LTfan

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Rik - thanks for the postcard of the Southwold Rly. Gives a whole new meaning to "Express" ?
The stories about the coaches having dragons on them - was that true?

David

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
LTfan - 30/10/2009 2:42 PM
The stories about the coaches having dragons on them - was that true?
David

Only after a few pints of Adnams.

;)

Rik

Walts-Playmobil

Playmobil Trains.
24 Oct 2009
North Wales
www.walts-playmobil-collection.me.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I remember as a teenager having a footplate ride on the Derwent Valley Light in Yorkshire. The only signal they had at the time was a distant. This was as the train approached a level crossing round a blind bend. It was operated only when the crossing was open for the line.

vannerley

Dutch trams in 1/24th., Austrian n. g. in 1/43rd.
1 Nov 2009
Herne Bay
Best answers
In Bowater days, the Sittingbourne line had two signals, both two-aspect electric. On reaching the top of the bank at what is now Sittingbourne Viaduct station, a driver would look out down the line to see if he could see another train coming down the main line, if there was not he would press a button to give himself right-of-way and set the other signal to red - he would then proceed northwards to Kemsley yard. Legend does not tell how this worked at night time ...

Authorised signalling for the preserved line is a home and starter at each end with no distant signals. There are also fixed 'limit of shunt' and 'single line starts here' boards.

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag
vannerley - 2/11/2009 11:00 AM

Authorised signalling for the preserved line is a home and starter at each end with no distant signals. There are also fixed 'limit of shunt' and 'single line starts here' boards.

Thanks for that. I was thinking of something along the lines of the Southwold but may have to make it a little more sophisticated as I will be running unscheduled ore trains. Love the idea of self operated signals. Not sure what the Board of Trade would have made of that.

Rik

vannerley

Dutch trams in 1/24th., Austrian n. g. in 1/43rd.
1 Nov 2009
Herne Bay
Best answers
Being entirely on private property, the Bowater Line did not have to worry about the BoT!! Indeed, the SKLR still does not have a Light Railway Order for the same reason although it undergoes full inspection.

I forgot to say that there is an auxilliary disc signal at the Kemsley Down station throat which is used to permit running round ... but it is not really necessary.