LGB track cleaning block

CoggesRailway

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
I have one of these and I like it. However it seems to be fouled so much it's no longer working. I think recent cleaning after liberal use of joining paste at reconstruction has fouled it. Can I just clean it with hot water? Dishwasher?!?!?

stockers

Trains, aircraft, models, walking, beer, travel
24 Oct 2009
Nr. Ashford, Kent. England.
Best answers
Country flag
Well if it dont work just try it:timeout: - then tell us.:D
You can get new pads to replace the grey bit from many stockists.

duncan1_9_8_4

Jack of all trades on the Railway
25 Oct 2009
Pontefract, West Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
dont like the lgb block, its too ridged and seems more prone to scuffing the ballast regularly...
get a gariflex insted.

steven large

USA G SCALES OF 30 TO 50S THEMES.ASLO KIT BASHING
15 Dec 2009
Best answers
hi so i ave a superb flexible gentle abravise block--fine-from GARRYFLEX!!
IT CAN used with water,washing up liquid,white spirit,etc...can use on iron,steel,alum,plastic.cermamics,paintwork..
p.s.lite brown block..

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
i agreed with duncan! very good cleanin block so far..100 per cents! thks u duncan for explained me months ago.

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
CoggesRailway said:
I have one of these and I like it. However it seems to be fouled so much it's no longer working. I think recent cleaning after liberal use of joining paste at reconstruction has fouled it. Can I just clean it with hot water? Dishwasher?!?!?
A bit of detergent will help, but I've found simply wiping the block over the edge of a piece of wood removes a mass of filth, especially if the track or gunge on it is damp.

steven large

15 Dec 2009
Best answers
whatlep said:
CoggesRailway said:
A bit of detergent will help, but I've found simply wiping the block over the edge of a piece of wood removes a mass of filth, especially if the track or gunge on it is damp.
u mean wiping the block over the edge of piece of wood ..how?

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
steven large said:
whatlep said:
CoggesRailway said:
u mean wiping the block over the edge of piece of wood ..how?
Errrm. By holding it in your hand an wiping it over the edge of (say) a piece of 2x1 while pressing down. Works for me!

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
to answer your question
if you know of a particualr solvent for the paste you speak of then give it a go-
i see no reason hot water (not boiling due to adhesive issues) or detergent would be a problem
i would not use acetone or laquer thinner-i suspect, but do not know, that these may melt the rubber conglomerate

i routinely have great luck in removing the brass and oxide and other stuff that accumulates by simply using naptha
-lighter fluid-
or the LGB smoke fluid-and a toothbrush-
the blocks are very long lived