dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Enlarging the axle holes to an oblong DOWNWARDS allows the wheels to move downwards effectively acting as axel springs.
Regards dj
This is pretty good idea, however I would only do it on 1 Axle thus providing a 3 point suspension set up. This should work quite well.
JonD

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
All the wagons on my shunting layout are toy train. The only modifications I have made are to add a big lump of lead underneath & jamb up the bogies with blue tack to prevent them turning. I still use the plastic wheels. I have used these at exhibitions for years, shunting on R1 points & curves without any problems.

I also use Toytrain wagons for my shunting layout Hardyard, and also on my outdoor one.

Metal wheels from Lilliput/Bachmann, fitted to add weight low down and improve running, is the only modification I make, aside from adding an extra hook to the couplings....

philkelly

France, railcars, DCC
24 Oct 2009
Islington, London & Vienne, France
Best answers
Country flag
I've found that the axle ends can shift across in the axle supports on the bogies and foul the cosmetic "axle boxes" which are part of the body. Can be solved by a little careful work with a sharp knife on the insides of the cosmetic boxes but needs a lot of care. Suppose that small washers on the axles might work too

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I also use Toytrain wagons for my shunting layout Hardyard, and also on my outdoor one.

Metal wheels from Lilliput/Bachmann, fitted to add weight low down and improve running, is the only modification I make, aside from adding an extra hook to the couplings....

I've added the big lump of lead and wrapped the axles with lead sheet. However I haven't fixed the bogies yet. That will be my next operation.