LGB sound module in analogue mode

Montblanc

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Albertville, Savoie, France
Best answers
Just in case it can help someone!
I installed a LGB sound module in a Bachmann Annie tender and alimented it via a set of ballbearing wheels. It worked, but rather strangely : chuff stopping and restarting, while the lok was running at a constant speed. Then I realised it happened at the separation between isolated control blocks. I think it tricked the electronics into "believing" that the train was stopping and restarting.
The solution : use two sets of wheels, one at the front and one at the rear of the tender. I had not anticipated the problem because my LGB sound car worked perfectly with only one set of wheels; but it's not the same sound system.

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
You could eliminate the intermittant sound problem if you fitted an LGB Sound 'buffer' unit code 65011
this is a power storage unit ( A set of capacitors) which store electrical power for a short period of time.

It also means the sound will continue to 'play' for a short time when the loco stops!

Easy to install just plugs into the LGB sound unit

dutchelm

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N Somerset
Best answers
Country flag
Somewhere on this forum is a do it yourself job for making a storage unit. Alternatively you can connect a 9v battery onto the sound unit.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers

Montblanc

Registered
26 Oct 2009
Albertville, Savoie, France
Best answers
Well, I don't know about that. I've been using a LGB sound car adapted with LGB ballbearing wheels for 15 years without any problem.

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi
It was Neil Robinson who posted the do it yourself power storage for the LGB sound modules. the name of the thread is 'Alternative sound storage for LGB 6500x sound units' under this section. BUT it seems that the link that he points to, which he posted over from the extinct G Scale Mad forum, has all the photies missing :(

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
beavercreek said:
Hi
It was Neil Robinson who posted the do it yourself power storage for the LGB sound modules. the name of the thread is 'Alternative sound storage for LGB 6500x sound units' under this section. BUT it seems that the link that he points to, which he posted over from the extinct G Scale Mad forum, has all the photies missing :(

Mike,

I will try and find the photos that are missing from the PDF that Neil posted and recreate the thread later tonight.