ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
There've been a few threads on GSC (and previously on GSM) regarding various problems with LGB points. I myself have contributed a thread on converting R5 points to live frog.

During recent test runs to re-stablish running on the WSL after the winter layover, I noticed some short wheelbase locos stalling on R3 and R5 point work, but not on the frog - they were stalling on the moving point rails. A quick test with the trusty multimeter revealed continuity problems across the pivoting joint halfway between the point blades and the frog.

Nothing for it but to remove each point and investigate. It seems the problem is most likely a combination of loose screws at the pivot and/or dirt and loss of contact between the sliding copper wipe and the underside of the fixed rail. I opted to permanently bond across the joint with a length of wire soldered as shown below:

3d410774541a4e31a524c68f416dba17.jpg

Now, I admit I would normally have used solder tags rather than directly soldering to the screw, but I reasoned that having first tightened the screw, soldering the wire to it will prevent the screw gradually loosening and turning. There's enough flexibility in the wire to allow the pivot to move as it should.

Oh... I also discovered a failed microswitch in one of my LGB auxiliary switches was causing a short in one of my recent live frog conversions! Aargh. Good job these units have two microswitches.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
ntpntpntp said:
Oh... I also discovered a failed microswitch in one of my LGB auxiliary switches was causing a short in one of my recent live frog conversions! Aargh. Good job these units have two microswitches.

Those microswitches have a DC current rating of only 2A, which is relatively high for such a switch but rather low compared to the output of many power supplies.

I have suggested to a mate, who has had several failures, that using the microswitches to power automotive relays would solve the problem. We will try this with the next failure.