Lgb points and motors

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Morning I have spent the last 2 morning trying to get 2 points to work off the LGB box in the garage, I was sure the wiring was ok in the garage, it wasn't!! now its working I found that they only go half way accros so derail, what my problem? any ideas Les

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Here's three possibilities.
Not enough power reaching the far (point motor) end of the wiring.
Debris in or under the point blades.
Operating bar not centralised.

To check the last remove the top cover of the point motor (don't lose the screws).
Take a look at the pinion (the round gear wheel). This has a small tag molded on it which should be vertical when the operating bar is dead center. If it isn't just lift the operating bar up a bit and then reposition correctly. Take care it doesn't slip a tooth or so when refitting the top cover.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Les, have you fitted these point motors recently?

You may need to adjust the travel of the motor so that the tie bar travels the full distance.

It's a little fiddly to do, but I'll try to explain here.

If your blades have only travelled part way, then you need to unscrew the lid from the motor (in situ) and then move the rack assembly by slightly lifting it, (but not the motor pinion gear,) so that the blades are against the rail.

Replace the cover, fit screws and test the point for both directions.

You may have to re-dajust by trial and error, but you should get there!

I should also mention that you should check that there are no obstructions to blade movement, such as ballast trapped in the workings.

Hope this helps....

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Yes sounds exactly like my sort of trouble which, I hope, I fixed. The obvious, clean out all sorts of debris inc ballast, the mechanism has to be completely clear of such. And you have to continually watch out for this. I also fouind that I had to fine tune the mounting until I got it right, initially all screws were tight, but then I found that I had to slacken off one or two to make sure the tiebar moved very freely. And finally, and I would like to hear from anyone else about this, under the flat clipped on rectangular panel in the middle of the blades is a spring. I removed this (kept it in the still manually operated points) but removing this spring certainly helped the movement, and did not hinder the blades from seating properly. I should add that the points I am talking about are Peco G45. I haven't motorised any others yet.

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
Sorry I didn't read the title properly, you specifically said "LGB" points. Sorry about that Les, I have LGB points on my indoor hanging railway but not motored, so the remark re the spring is meaningless, but then, I often say meaningless things, so I am told by those near and dear, except when they want money

steve parberry

G Scale Trains
25 Oct 2009
Nottingham
Best answers
Peco points need a lot of through from one direction to the other.

Are you using the Peco adaptor plates to fit the motors to the points? i belive these have a crank that increase the through

Dinas Bryn

Registered
13 Mar 2010
Best answers
Many thanks for your comments, I think these LGB pts have been there for some time and never worked because I had wired them wrong, weather premitting I will have a go in the morning Les

Glengrant

Registered
24 Oct 2009
NE Scotlamd
Best answers
steve parberry said:
Peco points need a lot of through from one direction to the other.

Are you using the Peco adaptor plates to fit the motors to the points? i belive these have a crank that increase the through
No I am not using the adapter plate, maybe I should have a think about that, however as I say the two I have in operation, motors, that is, are running OK so as long as that continues I'm not going to touch anything. However when I fit my 3rd motor I will think about that adapter plate, thanks for the advice steve