LGB on board decoder ME014385 by Massoth

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
I have a couple of yellow Cargo Sprinters....they came with onboard decoders which I understand were made by Massoth specially, and not available to buy individually.

Annoyingly, the lights ( headlights and cab light ) are non directional.....on or off. With just another mini ct connector, they could have been directional.

I've been looking for a diagram of the board, I've found this image from another thread where the question was posed 'is this a susi sound output' ( answer no..but massoth susi modules can be made to accept the lgb data format )

72473_f0a70b93f4f4e3b1b04105a6ecae52f3.jpg

So, starting at the top right, the ct connectors are: PLUG ( with red/black cables ), LI-R ( rear light? ), unknown bottom right corner??, SW or is it MS?, above it is SND sound,; crossing to bottom left, that's F1, screw, then LI-F ( front Light ), then LI-F again, then across to the plug with the black and brown cables LI-0. At the lh middle are two pins for smoke.

The lights in the cargo sprinter are in the LI-0 socket. With some work I can split the cab light from the headlight board...so headlight boards fit in LI-F and the cab light in LI-0

Have I got this right?

Malcolm

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Its not SUSI, but almost :) They call is "LGB Bus". eMotion S decoders should be able to handle the data presented, however you will probably need a axle sensor too.

You should be able to make the lights directions by CV settings. Now where did I put the CV list for these decoders....

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
CV details in the attachment.

Attachments

• OnboardCVs.pdf
    406.6 KB · Views: 0

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Guys, thanks for the image and the cv's....

I've just been to order some 2 pole ct plugs with leads to make separate outputs for cab and headlights, darn it, they're out of stock. But hey...a 4 pack....just the job.
I may add some red tail lights

Now, the multi purpose socket at the top rhs....is this for power outlets at each end of a loco..not used in the cargosprinter but used in the image I borrowed?

Malcolm

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Now, the multi purpose socket at the top rhs....is this for power outlets at each end of a loco..not used in the cargosprinter but used in the image I borrowed?

Correct.. :)

Brixham

27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks, just so this thread is more searchable..the cargo sprinter is 20970, and I have seen images of similar decoders ME014320 and ME014390 which probably have slightly different firmware or hardware.

I think I've read somewhere that fitting a power buffer to this decoder is difficult, as ground isn't available on a pinout, thus requiring soldering direct to the board. I may fit extra pickups to the trailing bogie ( and a weight ) as at low speeds a single cargo sprinter stalls on some R3 points.

Malcolm

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag

PhilP

5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Greg,
It conforms to signal levels etc., but 'speaks' a slightly different 'dialect'..

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
OK, so how does that "jive" with Massoth's statement that you can connect an eMotion decoder? Is there a setting for an "alternate" comman set?

I've been bashing my head in with an eMotion decoder for the last month, and have gone through the CV's... I did not see anything pertaining to this.

Is there any documentation about this "difference" anywhere? Seems very strange that with Massoth making the early LGB decoders that they would change anything... perhaps not support all features, but change?

Clearly anything is possible, but why would anyone go to the extra effort to program differences? It would most likely take extra programming of the compatible sound decoder too.

Update: (after more careful research :think: )

There are INDEED bits in the Massoth eMotion decoder, bit 4 of CV49 that is between Massoth and SUSI bus AND bit 7 that is between SUSI and Marklin... wow... so this is why the eMotion can work with it... what a mess... but compatible ha ha!

The best thing about a standard is it enhances compatibility... messing with it with small variations is really not good... I suspect the real reasons here are rooted in early development and a desire to force the customer to buy one manufacturer's product.

Greg

Last edited: