LGB native sound stops on freeze or power off.

shropshire lad

Registered
25 Jan 2010
Sunny Shropshire
Best answers
The ESU Ecos system will do everything you want. It is multi protocol so it will recognise Marklin Mfx decoders in locos as they are put on the track as well as being a full featured DCC system with LGB protocols too.
Wireless touch screen handhelds with a wheel for speed control are also available. Whilst only 4amps as supplied boosters will increase that output and still keep the set up at a cost effective level.
Massoth kit will of course run your railway but as people on here have found it is a bit basic when compared to the offerings of others ie the new Marklin decoders fitted as standard to LGB locos require some thought to program.The real strength of the Massoth system is the Navigator and it speaks volumes that Massoth have worked with other manufacturers to make it work with their equipment.
I'm sure Muns (your local friendly ESU dealer) would answer any questions you may have.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, you're right... I'm beginning to think a new CS might be the way forward. What would you recommend ... I hear a lot about Massoth. Is there an issue with compatibility at all?

Thanks very much,

Alex

As I understand it all you want to solve at the moment is the issue of having to cycle power to get the sound to (re)start on some engines.

The original problem I reported was not to do with the CS as subsequent experimentation showed that the same problem occurred on a selection of CS and the problem only existed with LGB engines with native sound. I put the issue down to the sound decoders LGB were using.

I think the problem is do with the strange way LGB functions work, in that they remember their last state when power is removed. No other manufacturer does this, including Massoth who made the LGB decoders! I once asked Peter Ting of Massoth about this and he told me it was in the spec that LGB sent them.

Now it does seem a bit strange that if you do indeed have one of the new MFX equipped engines that it should act in the same way.

Before buying a new CS just to solve the power cycle issue I'd recommend trying the CS at a mates or dealers to see if it really does solve the problem, unless of course you have other reasons for needing a new CS.

lynxface

Registered
14 Mar 2016
Scotland
Best answers
Country flag
Really good advice all, thanks very much. I have to say, I'm getting used to the post power-free sound-out. Found I can stand on my bed and toggle easily. A new CS will come in time, I guess, but I'm in no hurry now I'm at peace with toggling on/off for sound on the GE 4/4II

Another quick question: Have LGB changed much since their buyout by Maerklin? I have to say, I was poised to notice a drop in quality on the brand new Ge 4/4II, given the last LGB loco I bought was probably around 2003. But, I have to say, it seems to me to be excellent. The build quality is great, it runs smoothly and (apart from the weird sound/toggle idiosyncrasy) wouldn't say there's been a drop in LGB quality since their Maerklin-buyout Renaissance...

Would this be your guys experience too?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
The level of detail does seem to be good..
Build-quality would appear to be up to normal (one exception, in a minute) and the level of innovation has stepped up a gear. - Thinking of the likes of the Allegra set, with sequential announcements, and option of name-boards..

The only 'dud' (IMHO, of course) was the E10.. Yes, I know it was a 'budget' model, but the motor arrangement was horrible!

I personally have been impressed with the latest releases of rolling stock. - Though a decal-sheet of road numbers for the newly released 'Co-op' cars would have been nice, so as not to repeat the running numbers.

YMMV.