LGB mogul analogue soundboard to Bachmann Annie

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Now I have the old LGB boards, I am in the process of trying to add them to my Bachmann. I appreciate I should probably just ditch them, but they work and in the interest of experimentation, and with (hopefully!) some guidance, I would like to give a go at installation over the festive break! I have seen elsewhere on here people using similar boards, but as mine look different, I thought I should start a further thread. Hope that is ok.

Shown on the photo are the pins that used to go directly to the track for power. My plan is use r/c battery for the loco. My plan would be to run wires from the pins and splice them to the wires going to the motor. I assume that although that voltage would be variable as speed is increased (as it was under track power) it would be ok, with the 9v battery taking care of the lower end? I also assume that it doesn't matter about polarity? I did think about connecting the pins direct to the battery, but then it would never turn off - unless I put an additional switch on.

The pins marked chuff are what used to go to the sensor in the LGB mogul. I have seen some great tips elsewhere on using hall sensors and magnets on tender wheels, and I am going to have a try at that. May I ask what hall sensor and magnets best, where you would suggesting purchasing, and which pins would go to which part of the sensor? I did think about getting one of these for ease but again, I wouldn't know which pins would go to which wire ? Massoth 8242030 - Clock Set Standart Axle New 4251102686869 | eBay

I think I have figured out the whistle/bell activation.

As usual, any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.

Attachments

• Chuff wiring.jpg
    Chuff wiring.jpg
    429.3 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
White wire is common for bell/whistle and is the middle pin on the right 3 pins.
On the left 3 pins the center is the chuff signal, other 2 pins are power and ground. I used a magnet on the axle to feed the center pin and common with a 1 k pull up resistor and 2 k pull down and the center connection of the resistors (chuff signal) to the middle pin.
Chuff and track power pins are correctly labeled in diagram, right 3 pins are bell/whistle.

Reactions: 1 user

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Hello, so I've spent all afternoon on this now and am still struggling to get it to chuff. Using your kind suggestion Dan, I wired it to the board, but nothing happened. I then tried every combination of wiring and nothing happened. I then set up the simple circuit shown and probed with my multimeter on the brown and white cable. Bringing the magnet near the hall sensor made the circuit! So, I know the set up works, but not when fitted to the board may I ask if anyone things I am missing something obvious, or perhaps I am using an incorrectly rated hall sensor?

Thanks for the continued support

Attachments

• 20201226_152741.jpg
    20201226_152741.jpg
    227.2 KB · Views: 0
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Why not test the board, i.e. bring the sense line high (5v) and see if it chuffs (you may need a pull down resistor, like 10k to ground on the sense line... DO NOT use any thing of less ohms, 10,000...

This way you can see if the board is working.

(I don't know about this board, if it has DCC or not, or jumpers, etc).

I think you have proven the sensor, now you need to prove the board.

Greg

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks very much for your suggestion Greg, but it's all getting a little above me and I'm not entirely sure what you are saying! It may be time to break out the wallet - which is rather a shame.

As always though, thank you for your guidance.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Are you sure this is an analogue card?

If it is a DCC board, there are a number of CV's which could affect your 'chuff'.

Sounds could be turned off under analogue power.
Chuff could be set to follow motor-voltage.
Then there are CV's which interact with the timing of chuffs.
Also, chuffs per revolution..

I think you will need to find someone who can check /configure these for you?

PhilP.

Last edited:

brownmat

Registered
18 Oct 2020
East Yorkshire
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks Phil. It's certainly an analogue board. It's 30 years old!

I think you are right though, I think I need outside help!

Thanks for all the assistance!