SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Hi all
Been looking at a few LGB locos lately and see a number are fitted with the new MFX/DCC Sound System, and was wonder would they operate on DC/Analogue.
Last year I purchased a Piko Mogul, fitted with DCC Sound, that operates on DC and I must say it really is superb! Applying a little bit of power get the sound of the engine simmering whilst standing (with the occasional Shoveling of Coal too). On pulling away the whistle blows and the bell rings, and when traveling the whistles and bells can be triggered via track magnets.
I was wonder if LGB MFX fitted locos would operate the same on analogue? Rather than just the chuffing noise.
Many thanks!
Callum

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
They should work in a similar manner..
Whether Marklin are fitting fitting reed-switches to their latest models, I do not know.

Reactions: 1 user

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
First time I took my black Rugen 0-8-0 (with LGB factory DCC/sound, but pre-MFX) to a friend's layout, it was happily running round under MTS control when the bell started ringing - odd, I thought, I hadn't touched the controller - then I realised it had just passed over a track magnet. Didn't realise that the reed switches still functioned when the decoder was in DCC mode....?

Jon.

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all

Last year I purchased a Piko Mogul, fitted with DCC Sound, that operates on DC and I must say it really is superb! Applying a little bit of power get the sound of the engine simmering whilst standing (with the occasional Shoveling of Coal too). On pulling away the whistle blows and the bell rings, and when traveling the whistles and bells can be triggered via track magnets.

Callum

This doesn't answer your question but I thought it may help avoid confusion.
Please be aware that according to my experience Piko's current range of separate add on sound units don't work on DC. They are designed with a SUSI connection that plugs into a DCC decoder. Even if the decoder supports DC operation the sound won't function

Pminot

Registered
29 Mar 2017
Delaware, Ohio
Best answers
Country flag
hello,
I run both analog and Dcc. I have a newer LGB 28005. It has a MFX decoder. The whistle and bell work with track magnets. The steam sounds work also.
Might I suggest looking at the LGB web site to find the instructions for any engine you are interested in. They should explain what will work with analog. Not all of the engines do.
Paul

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
hello,
I run both analog and Dcc. I have a newer LGB 28005. It has a MFX decoder. The whistle and bell work with track magnets. The steam sounds work also.
Might I suggest looking at the LGB web site to find the instructions for any engine you are interested in. They should explain what will work with analog. Not all of the engines do.
Paul
Thanks for the info Paul. That's great news indeed. Just had a look on the LGB site at a few of the locos I'm looking at with MFX, and can't seem to find any info on if they have track magnets, or are suitable for DC. (I did check the description for your 28005 too and couldn't see anything about it).
The two locos I'm current looking at are a LGB 25702 and LGB 21985. If anyone has or has had any experience with these locos would be of great help

beachdonkey

Model railways, classic cars, music
14 Sep 2015
bedford
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info Paul. That's great news indeed. Just had a look on the LGB site at a few of the locos I'm looking at with MFX, and can't seem to find any info on if they have track magnets, or are suitable for DC. (I did check the description for your 28005 too and couldn't see anything about it).
The two locos I'm current looking at are a LGB 25702 and LGB 21985. If anyone has or has had any experience with these locos would be of great help
Hi Callum,I have both of the loco's you mention. In the booklet that comes in with 21985(Saxon 1K)it says" the built in sound functions come from the factory inactive for analog mode". The other loco 25702 does not mention this fact in the literature supplied, but they both quote "This decoder can also be operated on analog layouts.The decoder recognises DC and automatically adopts to the analog track voltage.All functions that were set under MFX or DCC for analog operation are active." I am no expert in the dark art of MFX but maybe you can only get the sounds using the analogue setting on a DCC system. Myself I have MTS3 which I am happy with as it also works fine with the newer MFX LGB loco's.Have you considered purchasing a used MTS3 yourself? If like you mention you are really pleased with the Piko Mogul ,running it on DCC will reveal even more sounds that individually controllable.

SDJR7F88

Registered
24 Mar 2016
West Country
Best answers
Hi Callum,I have both of the loco's you mention. In the booklet that comes in with 21985(Saxon 1K)it says" the built in sound functions come from the factory inactive for analog mode". The other loco 25702 does not mention this fact in the literature supplied, but they both quote "This decoder can also be operated on analog layouts.The decoder recognises DC and automatically adopts to the analog track voltage.All functions that were set under MFX or DCC for analog operation are active." I am no expert in the dark art of MFX but maybe you can only get the sounds using the analogue setting on a DCC system. Myself I have MTS3 which I am happy with as it also works fine with the newer MFX LGB loco's.Have you considered purchasing a used MTS3 yourself? If like you mention you are really pleased with the Piko Mogul ,running it on DCC will reveal even more sounds that individually controllable.
Thanks for the info, so guess from this info both locos are a no go for my DC set-up (using a standard LGB Set Controller). Would love to go DCC at some point, though not sure a number of my fleet (a number of Stainz and Piko Starter Locos) will take DCC.

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
..........Would love to go DCC at some point, though not sure a number of my fleet (a number of Stainz and Piko Starter Locos) will take DCC.

It is possible to DCC-chip pretty much anything in G scale, it's just that some require a little more work than others. Some are simple plug-ins, otheres require either partial or total re-wiring, but there is usually a way to do it. I've successfully put Massoth LS sound decoders in forty-year-old Stainzes.....

Jon.

Hutch

G Gauge, Raising Peaches, Apricots
1 Feb 2012
Southwest Oklahoma, USA
Best answers
Hi all
Been looking at a few LGB locos lately and see a number are fitted with the new MFX/DCC Sound System, and was wonder would they operate on DC/Analogue.
I was wonder if LGB MFX fitted locos would operate the same on analogue? Rather than just the chuffing noise.
Many thanks!
Callum
The Swiss rail tractor sound works as well if not better on DC than LGB CS2 control. Don't have MFX to compare it to.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for the info, so guess from this info both locos are a no go for my DC set-up (using a standard LGB Set Controller). Would love to go DCC at some point, though not sure a number of my fleet (a number of Stainz and Piko Starter Locos) will take DCC.
Do not forget that you can always drive just one analogue loco with a DCC Setup as Loco 0. Fizzes a little but said to do no harm to LGB Locomotives. Not sure about your Bachman Lyn though. To be honest LGB Chips non sound can be picked up pretty cheep these days second hand. Though best to buy via someone who has been able to fully test out for you before buying. If you do go down the DCC route PM me I may be able to help out with a chip or two.
JonD

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
While you can run a DC loco on DCC, do not letr it sit idle as the DCC pulses can over heat the motor.
This is due to DC motors have a very low resistance when not turning plus the DCC pulse will create lots of BEMF in a standing still motor.

ntpntpntp

Registered
24 Oct 2009
UK
Country
United-Kingdom
Best answers
Country flag
...DCC pulse will create lots of BEMF in a standing still motor.
Er... back EMF is the reverse voltage created by the coils turning in a magnetic field, ie. the motor acts as a generator. The motor must be turning to generate back EMF.

I do agree it's really not a good idea to sit an unchipped loco on a DCC track with power through the motor continuously even when stationary. OK so the larger motors in G scale models can cope better than in the small scale, but the heating effect is still there and if nothing else it's a waste of power. Personally I would never do it.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
Well, BEMF is generated by the rapid cessation of the magnetic field in a coil. So, pulsed power can create this even if the motor is not turning.

In a DC loco on the rails with zero stretching (where you stop making symmetric square wave DC and make the 0 (the positive) longer) you can get BEMF at any time, BUT if there is "enough" voltage the motor will move.

But in the final analysis, pulses are always "hitting" the motor, so basically it must always have some BEMF. And the maximum current will be drawn at just before the motor turns.

So I would have to say that Dan's statement is very telling, you can get motor heating when the loco is standing still in zero stretching, i.e. "address 0".

May seem counter-intuitive, but appears to be true.

Greg