dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not entirely sure why Casy, I can see that some of the Mouldings are Squarer, but it must be more fundamental than this?
JonD

trammayo

Interested in vintage commercial vehicle, trams, t
24 Oct 2009
Co. Mayo
Country
Ireland
Best answers
Country flag
Ah yes - I can see that the originals are more prototypical (representing the formed steel channel ends), whilst the new ones are like a platform!

James Day

Guano Corner Rly - Runs weekly - Guano permitting
6 May 2012
Warwickshire
Best answers
Country flag
When I first started out with LGB they were still using the old non-reversible couplings, that were integrally moulded into skip chassis. In the early 80s I upgraded to the reversible type and replaced the single and double axle bogies on all my stock, but this left the skips and the rear couplings of the 0-4-0 type locos to do.

In those days LGB were really supportive and supplied any parts you wanted a spares, so I was able to buy whole skip frames and rear blocks for the chassis of my locos, and was able to salvage the weights from the old skips and re-use them.

Recently at the Solihull event I purchased a couple more secondhand skips, one of which was an attractive grey stake wagon and had the old style chassis. Sadly I have discovered that there is no point in writing and asking Marklin for anything, except stock items so I set to work cutting off the old couplings and adapting the chassis to take a pair of the 'thin' type of Bachmann TTE coupling mounts, to which I secured the reversible LGB couplings.

This took me a couple of hours and was quite good fun. I would do it again if I had to. I don't think the thin Bachmann coulpling mounts were around in the early 80s, or I could have fitted these instead of replacing the chassis.

I am not a modeller like you Casey, I just like running trains. This is why I like to keep my couplings standard, although the pin and link type you have fitted is very prototypical and attactive.

I am also not so keen on the newer type of chassis with the plate decking in the ends. I have a few of these in my skip train. I guess that health and safety dicated that the person operating the tipper needed somewhere to stand without risking injury?

All my side tippers are red. The oldest dating back to 1977, I have 18 now, acquired over the years but the shades vary a little. I like keeping them the same colour. As LGB have changed the colour over the years, I was able to swap grey bodies for red ones with a chum in the early 1990s. I tend not to repaint things, although it probably would have been easier if I had! A few more were bought secondhand from another chum. A few came with dummy loads too. I think that they are the most recent?

I have no plan to buy any more side tippers as an 18 skip train with a short guards van will fill my loops! That said there are many other attractive skips, like the bolster wagons and flat wagons. Perhaps a tower wagon would go well with my catenary?

James

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

casey jones snr

Registered
20 Apr 2010
Charnwood Forest Railway. Rothley. Leics.
Country
England
Best answers
Country flag
I tend to run my skips in rakes of nine, but on occasion I have run all twentyfive skips in a single rake. This looks very impressive. The Roundhouse "Little John" and "Bulldog" locomotives can easily handle the rake.