scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Hi all,

im trying to sort out an issue with a LGB dcc factory fitted spremberger

the loco works fine on digital, including lights, but when run on analogue, the lights come on at low voltage, then go off as voltage is increased then the loco begins to move without any lights on.

1. this is the second decoder I have fitted to the loco
2. I have changed the switch in the cab
3 I have set the decoder to both 14 and 28 speeds steps

all to no joy

below is the decoder fitted to this loco

CA1A194E-83D9-4294-BF37-B1F23434FAC5.jpeg
any help would be very welcome

thanks
sam

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sam,
No real ideas at the moment but just to be clear, are you trying to run this loco on true analog DC not using DCC address 0? And have you set CV 29 to be DCC and analog DC? Ref point 2 is this the standard LGB "4-way" switch that turns power off or lights only or lights and smoke etc? Do you have smoke generator turned on? That can drain the power from a decoder.

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sam,
No real ideas at the moment but just to be clear, are you trying to run this loco on true analog DC not using DCC address 0? And have you set CV 29 to be DCC and analog DC? Ref point 2 is this the standard LGB "4-way" switch that turns power off or lights only or lights and smoke etc? Do you have smoke generator turned on? That can drain the power from a decoder.

hi
Thanks for your reply

the loco belongs to my dad who only runs analog

yes I am using true analog
i have used my piko handset to set the decoder to both digital and analog
the switch is a 3 way LGB switch, I have tried the loco in all 3 positions on the switch

thanks sam

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Hi Sam,
What about the smoke generator?

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
How much current can the analogue supply give out?

What is the value of CV 29?

Later (newer) decoders have the additional set of CV's for controlling lighting.. - It could be set for the lights to be 'on' when stationary, and to go 'off' when the loco is moving. This would be the sensible option for a cab-light.

scook

Registered
24 Oct 2009
leicester, 3cag
Best answers
Country flag
BINGO!!

Works fine with the smoke generator disconnected, bit weird as the electrical set up inside is the same as what would have come out the factory

i will have a look at the smoke unit later in the week

thanks sam

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
According to the ,manual, pos 0 is off, pos 1 is lights and smoke, pos 2 is lights, smoke and motor, so you can't turn smoke off with that switch, you will have to open the loco and disconnect the smoke generator leads to turn it off in DC mode I believe.

But I see you have posted that it has turned it off. Wierd. Anyway result! I had a loco that if you turned the volts up to the smoke generator the lights dimmed! What voltage is the smoke generator set to? I think that is the F1 or possible F2 voltage setting. Or if your dad doesn't want smoke generator just leave it turned off and job done.

LGB333

TRADER
15 Feb 2015
McLean Virginia
www.olddominionrailways.com
Best answers
Country flag
Some potential issues: Lights voltage not set correctly.......most LGB locos use 5 volts bulbs; smoke unit voltage not set correctly......most LGB locos use 5 volts smoke units; smoke unit failing causing a short. You can test the output of these devices from the decoder using a DC voltage meter.

If you provide the specific LGB # for your loco, and the specific DC/DCC decoder # installed, I can give you more specific information about the CV settings needed.