muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I have a LGB DB 101 loco and unfortionatly it does not have motorised panographs so I thought that I would try to give it some life.

I intend to add sound to this loco using an eMotion S sound decoder as there is an onboard MTS decoder fitted as standard.

After a lot of thought, I decided that I would need 2 servos, one for each panto, however the eMotion S decoder is unable to control 2 servos (1 max) I would need something else.....

I considered getting a MERG Servo 4 controller but as their kit locker was closed for a stock take initialy decided against it.

Now the eMotion 8FL function decoder can operate 2 servos and as I had a couple, one of them would be used for this little
project.
6aa3322f375d4cd2a787ae85c1010beb.jpg

First I had a hard think (and it was painful) on how the servo would drive the panto still allowing it to rise and fall against the wire freely. The original mecanism is sprung loaded inthe up position to allow this.
241e16e0fedd42cbb4fb5542529d0c53.jpg

I finally manufactured a L plate that sits where the original limit switch pcb would be if LGB had motorised them! The servo is bolted to this and the arm pushes the original spring loaded part of the mechanism.
3f1581bc574c4ba6afb2e2875f2f4c14.jpg

In order to drive a servo, all of the eMotion decoders need some addtional electronics, basically to provide a smoothed 5v supply to the servos. The required circuit can be found in the 8FL documentation.

After a trip to maplis to get the required components, I designed a curcuit board that would allow me to connect the 8FL and 2 servos easily.
0590eab22e8c4ae7a1b3a8499fa5be5c.jpg

A short video of the panto can be found on you tube here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTJO8dNswGU

muns

Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Southampton, U.K.
www.gardenrailoutlet.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Now, I am not 100% happy with this as the servo strains when the panto is down as it has to fight the spring of the mechanism all of the time. The noise from the servo at this point is unacceptable to me so I will be looking to see if I can do it differently.

Another issue is that I do not seem to be able to get the servo to operate only when the loco is moving in a specific direction. The 8FL does not like take any notice of the directional bit settings when the output is in servo mode - I have asked Massoth to clarify if this is a bug in the decoder firmware.