LGB brushes

ralphswan

Registered
2 Nov 2022
S E Michigan
Best answers
Country flag
I’m new here. Looking for a bit of pro advice. In the mid-80s I bought a few LGB items. They got minimal use and went to storage. Yesterday I figured I’d lube up a couple locos to run under the Christmas tree. I started w the 2018D mogul. Then opened up the 2035 trolley. So here’s my question. The mogul had 4 power pick up brushes, 2 per each drive axle. The trolley had only 3 pick up brushes. The wheel with the traction band had none, nor were there any marks on the wheel indicating that it had ever had one. So, what’s the norm, 3 or 4? I can see that with the traction band insulating that wheel that a power pickup might be a bit useless. But then why was it present on the mogul? Thanks,
Ralph

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
It would normally be 4..

The carbon part of the brush could be detached from the spring, and have fallen out at some point.

PhilP

ralphswan

Registered
2 Nov 2022
S E Michigan
Best answers
Country flag
It would normally be 4..

The carbon part of the brush could be detached from the spring, and have fallen out at some point.

PhilP
Thanks Phil. the inside of the wheel was clean, without the black rings seen on the other 3. So it didn’t fall out during use, unless it popped within the first few feet of travel. I’d never taken it apart before. There was no spring either. I have difficulty blaming it on shoddy manufacturing, but maybe even West Germans can have a bad day. Any idea what brush/spring replacement kit I should use on the trolley?

ralphswan

Registered
2 Nov 2022
S E Michigan
Best answers
Country flag
I think I’ve answered my own question. The trolley has two head lamps, one on each end. They switch on/off depending on the direction of travel. That switching is handled by a circuit card. It handles the motor power as well ( I think), putting power onto the brass strip that feeds only the motor. It would also backfeed to the wheel w the absent brush/spring. And that would be a problem if the brush was present. So the simple solution appears to have been to eliminate it. I’m not sure of the exact electronics. But I’m sure enuf that it now makes sense.

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
That does not make sense. One thing is a wheel with a traction tire does not pick up power very well, due to the tire. (if the tire is doing it's job then it is making contact with the rail head).

I cannot follow your logic, nothing is backfeeding, the power comes from the rails, through the wheels and skates.

Greg