LGB automatic reversing unit 10340

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Before I finally nail it to the ground, can anyone tell me whether this item is weatherproof? My stop block [bumper] doesn't have a lamp so the hole in the top is open to the elements; LGB's leaflet which I downloaded doesn't seem to say. I guess the main use for these is so that dealers can have something running constantly in the shop (which is where mine came from when bankruptcy struck. It's an ill wind...) but as most garden railways are ... outside? it would seem perverse not to be able to leave this in situ outdoors. Plastic bag over it when not in use, perhaps?
Any advice gratefully received.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
I'd be interested to know as well, as I've brought one recently too....

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
tough call

Do the destructions have a comment?

having seen not only the price but the underside-i would think that it will eventually have something corrode-but there shouldnt be any moving parts other than the potentiometers for setting accel decel rate and wait time

at that price id be very inclined to stretch a balloon or something to prevent moisture over the board -together perhaps with a packet of silica gel 

and at the same time id allow for moisture to escape 

i also think in strong sunight there might be adverse effects

mere speculation 

Neil Robinson

Registered
24 Oct 2009
N W Leicestershire
Best answers
Country flag
Is there any reason why the electronics can't be removed from the buffer stop and installed in a sheltered position adjacent to the controller/power supply?

Zerogee

Clencher's Bogleman
25 Oct 2009
North Essex
Best answers
Country flag
Neil Robinson said:
Is there any reason why the electronics can't be removed from the buffer stop and installed in a sheltered position adjacent to the controller/power supply?

That's certainly what I'd do - dismantle it, extend the wiring and seal the circuit board in something like a Maplins plastic project box, with a silica gel sachet or two. Then stick it inside a small shed or hut near the end of the line.

Jon.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
I have two of them. One with the electronics in my power pack cabinet, the other still in the buffer. It's been outside for a couple of years at least without issue. I also have one of the older models, 0090 or something, that has been outdoors for at least six years. It still works just fine.

Actually, the only one I have had any problems with is the one in the cabinet.

vasim

Registered
3 Jan 2010
Best answers
The little hole in the top of the buffer stop is hardly going to let in a flood, and if it did, it would not be difficult to plug it with blue tack or a rubber bung.

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Thanx peeps!

I'm sure myself and the Eagle will be okay. The pcb is underneath on the slopey coaly bit, so moisture would tend to fall away, even if in the most unlikely event, it could pool there.

But I will fit a lamp to the hole anyway, as much to make it look right as to stop the rain getting in....

Eaglecliff

Registered
19 Jul 2010
Derby, England
Best answers
Country flag
Yes, thanks everyone. In the circs I think I'll go for extracting the works and fitting them into a Maplin box or similar on my (portable) control panel. Means a bit more electric spaghetti but I'll manage.
Cheers,
ELLRR.
PS Granddaughter arrives tomorrow for a couple of weeks from the far North - got to get everything running by then!

minimans

Trains, Planes, Automobiles & Shooting
24 Oct 2009
San Francisco Bay Area
Best answers
I've had one on my christmas layout that spends 2 months outside in the worst weather of the year (plenty of rain) and I've done 'now't with mine except put it away in the box when done and it always works just fine (if i remember which way the diodes go!!)
54a9e82447a5400980511ee6cd9b0c99.jpg

44f229d8fa274361bcf63917b3a4cd88.jpg

like Vegas it looks a lot better in the dark!!
0f1b2b4f27674f6aa8d9725e153ecca9.jpg

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Although I have replaced mine witha 5 amp version they always worked after being left outside all year. I have a used one and an unused one if anyone would be after one?