LGB 2090 Butchery

TonyMP52

Registered
25 Feb 2018
Faversham
Best answers
Country flag
Progress so far on modifying an LGB 2090 Kof. It has extension frames to which are fitted a pony truck modified from a Bachmann Lyn and a jackshaft made from LGB cranks and an axle. The connecting rods from the jackshaft to the coupling rods were 3D printed for me by Dean Goods. I wasn't keen on the panels on the Kof bonnet so they were sanded off and replaced with ventilation grills. The radiator grill is from an old radio! An equipment box sits over the pony truck modified from one once on an LGB 2033 works loco. It's inspiration was the Baldwin diesel Moelwyn on the FFestiniog which has also had an additional pair of wheels grafted on.

2090 Conversion _2_.jpg

Reactions: 1 users

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Progress so far on modifying an LGB 2090 Kof. It has extension frames to which are fitted a pony truck modified from a Bachmann Lyn and a jackshaft made from LGB cranks and an axle. The connecting rods from the jackshaft to the coupling rods were 3D printed for me by Dean Goods. I wasn't keen on the panels on the Kof bonnet so they were sanded off and replaced with ventilation grills. The radiator grill is from an old radio! An equipment box sits over the pony truck modified from one once on an LGB 2033 works loco. It's inspiration was the Baldwin diesel Moelwyn on the FFestiniog which has also had an additional pair of wheels grafted on.

View attachment 271794
Wow now that is a super interesting job and wizzy cranks as well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I like the cut of your jib, sir :clap::clap::clap:

Anglian

Registered
23 Jul 2018
Armagh
Best answers
Country flag
That is a quirky and very nice piece of work.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
well the thread title made me guess a link to some ebay mess of "owner improvements"

yours is that rarest of things, an actual owner improvement.

oh that is brilliant.
im a fan of 2090s and the 2090 auto uncoupler locos....you dont see many of them anymore....i believe i was told by a former large US seller specializing in used LGB that many were snatched up by the japanese for small g scale layouts, as were many other the other small LGB locos.

plausible, love the grab iron stancheons, tool box, like the exhaust and headlight too, grill looks perfect, entire loco is well proportioned, pleasing to the eye. and.....its green...a favorite.

have to ask, did you do anything with the rear lights? were yours dummys ?

Last edited:

TonyMP52

Registered
25 Feb 2018
Faversham
Best answers
Country flag
well the thread title made me guess a link to some ebay mess of "owner improvements"

yours is that rarest of things, an actual owner improvement.

oh that is brilliant.
im a fan of 2090s and the 2090 auto uncoupler locos....you dont see many of them anymore....i believe i was told be a for mer large US seller specializing in used LGB that many were snatched up by the japanese for small g scale layouts, as were many other the other small LGB locos.

plausible, love the grab iron stancheons, tool box, like the exhaust and headlight too, grill looks perfect, entire loco is well proportioned, pleasing to the eye. and.....its green...a favorite.

have to ask, did you do anything with the rear lights? were yours dummys ?

Thank you kindly Steve.

I haven't fitted lights yet but there will be one LED light per end. The bonnet end will use the old LGB 'snorkel' housing. The cab end has had both bottom lamps sanded off and I will fit a LED light in the top lamp position.

I had it running at the weekend and it works OK except the pony truck needs some form of springing despite having a chunk of brass glued to the top already.

Alpineandy

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Alpennines
Best answers
Country flag
Top conversion..............reminds me of FFestiniogs "Moelwen" :nod: