LGB 2085 Mallet - info wanted!

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi folks. I'm looking for one of the several experts out there to help with data on the early versions of LGB's European Mallet.

I'm pretty familiar with the story from 1997 onwards, but not sure about what was available before the 2085D. I've also seen varying dates concerning the 2085's introduction (1980 & 1985 being those quoted regularly).

Any information gratefully received. :callme:

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Buckley NR MOLD NORTH WALES
Best answers
The 2085D was the FIRST Mallet it was the Green & Black version approx 1982 released, it had been catalogued from around 1980 and the initial pictures depicted it with a hook on the front coupling and a little more detailing than actually appeared on the released model, it moved LGB's detailing status though quite a few steps forward! I bought the first one to be sold by Beatties branch in Manchester! at around £300, ( Prices for LGB at that time were in relative terms probably a lot higher than they are today) the model remained unchanged for quite a few years I am not sure exactly which livery came next,

The first batch produced had a slight mould fault in thast the chimney had a slight forward slope, which was not too apparent except when viewd alongside a 'corrected' version , I dont think that any of the 'faulty' batch were imported into the UK, they would only have reached here by private imports.

I think my memory of the dates is pretty accurate, as we moved from Disley Cheshire, to N WALES mid '84 and Mallets came with us!!

Hope this info is useful :( )

whatlep

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Worcestershire
www.facebook.com
Best answers
stevelewis - 7/11/2009 3:09 PM
Hope this info is useful :( )

First rate Steve - I knew someone would have the data at their fingertips! I remember that Beatties branch very well, though I'd moved away from the Manchester area by 1982. Incidentally, on government inflation figures, £300 in 1982 is £750 today!

Any idea if that first 2085D had split gearboxes or the early 'D' type with 3 pins? I've also seen a reference to 2085S. Ring any bells?

Thanks again for any info. :clap:

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
I used to Look after some of the £3000+ Handbuilt LGB locos at weekedns for the manager occasionally, due to insurance regulations they were not allowed to leave them on the premises at weekend, and the manager had to take them home, but some weekends he was going out straight from work, so I helped him out!!
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway Must admit never seen anything about 2085S which would have indicated sound ( The 'd' in 2085D indicated that it had a smoke unit D= Dampf / Steam)

There is nothing on Google for LGB 2085S

In those early days there was only one steam sound loco the 2080S (Harz 2-6-2T) the sound was really not good with a mechanical!!!! bell driven by a elec motor!!

Would be interested to find out more though, although 2085D often comes up on eBay but never seen 2085S

I think I remeber that the early ones did have the split gearbox I had to replace a motor once on a leading bogie which had been affected by leaking smoke oil!!! :(

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
bell/electric motor?? :D more like a tin bath :rofl:

stevelewis

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Be that as it may

But the sight of a doubleheaded LGB train with two 2080S locos at a MACCLESFIELD exhibition in '75 got me into LGB!!

Spule 4

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Les États-Unis
Best answers
No S, just D. Became the 20851 with the renumbering.

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
stevelewis - 7/11/2009 9:57 AM

Be that as it may

But the sight of a doubleheaded LGB train with two 2080S locos at a MACCLESFIELD exhibition in '75 got me into LGB!!

you know the same happened to me when i first saw a demo of a still unreleased 2019S at a train show here in denver in about 1987-the sound just brought an entirely new level of realism

its hard to beat a 2085 IMHO-one of the best and most beautifully executed engines by LGB-i still remember the christmas my wife gave me the huge box and i was as excited as a kid