phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Just thought I'd post this so you would be aware! There is potentially a poor mesh between the idler gear and drive gear mounted on the drive axles of these locos. Circled in red in the photo below is what I'm describing.

24450 dirve gear - 1.jpg

This is actually a new replacement I recently put on. It is a better mesh than the original which had less than half the width of both drive gears engaged! The corners of the original drive and idler gears wore off as a result. The gears began to slip under the lightest load. As long as I had the gear box open for these photos I tweeked both drive gears a bit more by driving them about another mm or so to the left on the drive axle. The next photo shows the mesh circled in yellow of the "adjusted" gear.

24450 dirve gear - 1 _1_.jpg

You need to be careful not to move the gear too much or the axle side play will be eliminated.

I should caution that the drive gear might break when trying to adjust its position on the axle. Don't ask how I know! :banghead::banghead::banghead: I broke one while attempting to move the gear without removing one of the wheels from the axle first. I ended up using a socket as a driver to position another new drive gear. The wheel was easily removed from the axle with a small pulley puller. What was left of the broken gear was removed. Then a new drive gear was tapped onto the axle. A socket was positioned against the gear hub and over the axle and tapped with a hammer to drive the gear into final position. The removed wheel was put back on the axle after carefully checking that the wheel quartering matched the other drive set and the jackshaft counterweights.

If your loco shows a similar poor gear mesh you might want to have replacement gears on hand if you attempt this adjustment. I happened to have extras purchased when I did the original gear replacement on my 24450. The drive gears are 38 tooth Champex-Linden part no. CL30351. The idler gears are LGB part no. 62007.

This problem could have been avoided altogether by LGB/Märklin simply by making the idler gear wider where it engages axle drive gear. There appears to be plenty of space in the gearbox!

I should mention that the gears on my old 2045, which has a similar gearbox, were matched up much better from the factory and it has not manifested the early gear failure my 24450 experienced.

Last edited:

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
Thanks for this Phil S, and for visually checking my 24440. I'll check my 29450 as well.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
I know it's still the festive season, but may I whinge please?

For those of us who do not do LGB, postings that are titled just by an LGB stock number are rather un-informative.

Whilst I don't have any LGB stock, the hobby as a whole still interests me, and when I look at the post I find that I don't have a clue what is being discussed.

Mind you, having to wear hearing aids in my old age means that I'm quite used to missing out chunks of the conversation :D:D:D

End of whinge :p:p:p

JimmyB

Now retired - trains and fishing
23 Feb 2018
Weston-super-Mare
www.tumble-down-falls.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
I know it's still the festive season, but may I whinge please?

For those of us who do not do LGB, postings that are titled just by an LGB stock number are rather un-informative.

Whilst I don't have any LGB stock, the hobby as a whole still interests me, and when I look at the post I find that I don't have a clue what is being discussed.

Mind you, having to wear hearing aids in my old age means that I'm quite used to missing out chunks of the conversation :D:D:D

End of whinge :p:p:p
Where as I do have LGB stock, but still being relatively new to the hobby, the number also mean nothing to me.

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
LGB 20450 is the RhB Ge2/4 "box" and 24440 is the same but the "flat-iron" version. Because LGB produce different models of the same loco (liveries, running numbers) you sometimes see a model range described as 2x45x where x can be any digit. Locos always start with 2 and the 45 in this case means the RhB Ge2/4 "box" range. 2x44x is the "flat-iron" range.

FYI Ge2/4 is Swiss railway notation, G means narrow gauge, e electric, 2 two powered axles and 4 total number of axles.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
LGB 20450 is the RhB Ge2/4 "box" and 24440 is the same but the "flat-iron" version. Because LGB produce different models of the same loco (liveries, running numbers) you sometimes see a model range described as 2x45x where x can be any digit. Locos always start with 2 and the 45 in this case means the RhB Ge2/4 "box" range. 2x44x is the "flat-iron" range.

FYI Ge2/4 is Swiss railway notation, G means narrow gauge, e electric, 2 two powered axles and 4 total number of axles.
Dave, thanks.

It only needed Ge2/4 in the title and it would be understood. Having sad that, there have been a number of threads simply quoting the LGB model number, and it assumes that all forum readers are LGB afficionados.

But, being the festive season, I must not moan :shake::shake::shake::shake::shake::shake:

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
I agree but find that a Google of say “pictures of LGB 24440” will generally give an answer.
2ADBB5BC-AAA4-4F2C-9571-77AD6B798681.jpeg

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
So is that a "baby croc"
Hm sort of but not quite, croks should have rods and bend as well. These little babies are what I always call baby crocks, but they still do not properly qualify. Closest thing you can get to the LGB 24440 may be an Aligator but even they have twin powered bogies. Swiss Electrics nick names are frequently abused.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
Hm sort of but not quite, croks should have rods and bend as well. These little babies are what I always call baby crocks, but they still do not properly qualify. Closest thing you can get to the LGB 24440 may be an Aligator but even they have twin powered bogies. Swiss Electrics nick names are frequently abused.

I suspect the LGB croc is actually a baby croc :nod: :nod:

idlemarvel

13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag

phils2um

Phil S
11 Sep 2015
Ann Arbor, Michigan
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Dave had it right in his post about opening up these babies - like the similar standard gauge German shunting locos these are known as "flat-irons" because their shape is reminiscent of an old style cloths iron.

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
When I see the idler gear not fully meshing with the axle gear, I add a washer on the idler gear shaft. In the picture shown 2 washers could be added On the left side) to make the axle gear not slide around as much.