lgb 2-10-2 TRACTION TYRES

DRG11

Registered
14 May 2011
Roman City of Bath
Best answers
Country flag
Hello All,

Apologies to ask but does anybody know what size traction tyres fit the 2-10-2 loco ..

ie ... 37.5 or 46.5 tyre sizes

Also is it easy to change these please ?

Many thanks

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
46.5mm
LGB 69184
Mark E131368

They are 'fiddley' to do, you really need three hands! :nod:;) - You have to disconnect the motion from the offending wheel to get the tyre off/on.. :(

Massoth Traction Tyres

Other suppliers are available..

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
Its not as fiddly to do as I thought. I bought replacement tyres some time ago and put off changing them time and time again but finally I decided to bite the bullet and change them on two of my locos.

If I can do it, anybody should be able to do it!!

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
My choice would be to get a spare set of wheels and get rid of the flaming things. They are nothing but a nuisance loosing one set of wheels for pickup and causing Locomotives to pull in excess of what they sould do up gradients that can only cause damage to the gears. Far better that the wheels slip to indicate that you are trying to do too much with them. Then you can prototypically get a Banking Loco to assist.

I know some on here will strongly dissagree with me using sever gradients that without Traction Tyres would be pretty much impossible to use. Rule 1 for them I guess.

Rhinochugger

Retired Oik
27 Oct 2009
North West Norfolk
Best answers
Country flag
My choice would be to get a spare set of wheels and get rid of the flaming things. They are nothing but a nuisance loosing one set of wheels for pickup and causing Locomotives to pull in excess of what they sould do up gradients that can only cause damage to the gears. Far better that the wheels slip to indicate that you are trying to do too much with them. Then you can prototypically get a Banking Loco to assist.

I know some on here will strongly dissagree with me using sever gradients that without Traction Tyres would be pretty much impossible to use. Rule 1 for them I guess.
I'm not a lover of traction tyres or skates.

I think the need for traction tyres lies in the same area as the need for deep flanges, and that is the LGB commitment to R1. An overly tight radius - even by model terms - creates quite an element of drag, and the deep flanges reveal that both loco and stock will drag quite heavily in these situations.

As you say, each to his own, and many people wouldn't be able to indulge in this great hobby if there were no R1s :think::think::think::think:

Reactions: 1 users

Dan

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Eastern MA, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Hello All,

Apologies to ask but does anybody know what size traction tyres fit the 2-10-2 loco ..

ie ... 37.5 or 46.5 tyre sizes

Also is it easy to change these please ?

Many thanks
It is easy to find the wheel size for traction tires.
LGB track is 45 mm and the wheels are 36mm (smaller than the rail to rail width, 46.5mm (about the same width as the rail to rail), and 55mm which is much wider than the rail to rail width.

KentKeith

Registered
24 Oct 2009
SouthEast Kent
Best answers
Country flag
The details of what traction tyres (Haftreifen) are required for each LGB loco are shown in the manual/booklet that comes with each loco.

LGB don't quote any size, they just show the spare part reference number.