Lenz LE4024B Decoder

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hello

Can anyone point me towards a source for the manual for the Lenz LE4024B decoder? Tried Google without success.

Trying to sort out why the front light is continuously on regardless of direction and any of the function buttons. The rear light works fine.

Thanks

Bill

The Shed

Citizen of the Republic of the North East.
8 Mar 2020
Darlington, County Durham.
Country
England
Best answers

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Does anyone know of a factory reset is available with this decoder?
Bill

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Lenz99CV8 = 33

Use CV 8 to read Lenz Manufacturer as ID 99, if confirmed then, Write a value of 33 to CV8 for a reset.

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Lenz99CV8 = 33

Use CV 8 to read Lenz Manufacturer as ID 99, if confirmed then, Write a value of 33 to CV8 for a reset.
Thanks . Tried that but although I can confirm CV 8 as 99 and rewrite to 33, the decoder reverts to 99 and now the light function F0 makes the motor run faster. GRRRR

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Hmm, vaguely remember and recall someone else had one of these decoders, that one was particular troublesome.

If you are meaning you did a Read back and CV8 reported back as 99, this is correct.

CV8 by definition is hard coded into the Firmware as Read Only, irrespective of what value written to it, it will always return back the value of 99.

To prove and verify that the value of 33 in CV8 actually works, try the following.

Write CV1 to change address to anything other than 3 and a maximum value of 99.

Read back CV1 to confirm the new address.

Then CV8 to 33 to preform a Reset, then a Read back on CV1, if the address has changed from the value previously entered and has defaulted back to address 3, the assumption is the Reset has worked.

Tried looking for the Massoth Service Tool template I wrote for this particular decoder, no luck, must have returned the original decoder template along with the decoder.

If all else fails, I'd be happy to have look at it, if you are in a mind to post the decoder?

Last edited:

electricity_bill

Registered
11 Feb 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Hmm, vaguely remember and recall someone else had one of these decoders, that one was particular troublesome.

If you are meaning you did a Read back and CV8 reported back as 99, this is correct.

CV8 by definition is hard coded into the Firmware as Read Only, irrespective of what value written to it, it will always return back the value of 99.

To prove and verify that the value of 33 in CV8 actually works, try the following.

Write CV1 to change address to anything other than 3 and a maximum value of 99.

Read back CV1 to confirm the new address.

Then CV8 to 33 to preform a Reset, then a Read back on CV1, if the address has changed from the value previously entered and has defaulted back to address 3, the assumption is the Reset has worked.

Tried looking for the Massoth Service Tool template I wrote for this particular decoder, no luck, must have returned the original decoder template along with the decoder.

If all else fails, I'd be happy to have look at it, if you are in a mind to post the decoder?
Hello
Did as you said and unfortunately the fault is still there after a successful reset. If you could have a look at it, I would greatly appreciate your help. My email is bill.tubey@gmail.com if you would kindly send me your address.

Thanks

Bill

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
As requested, email sent including postal address.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Made a start on a new decoder template for the Lenz LE4024B decoder using MST 3.

LE4024B Page 1.PNG
LE4024B Page 2.PNG

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
After a good nights sleep the Old Grey matter clunked into gear, amazing what one can remember and recall.

Rain showers have put to a halt to anything useful outdoors, tapped away on the keyboard and modified the decoder template, the more observant will have noticed a few changes, the Lenz Decoder is Old Skool, await the arrival of the decoder which is in the post.

(God or the Devil will determine when it turns up, our postal service is hit or miss up here in the wastelands of the frozen North East, well actually more miss than hit!)

LE4034B Page 1.PNG
LE4034B Page 2.PNG
LE4034B Page 3.PNG

Last edited:

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Hi Bill, package arrived earlier today whilst out, will attend to tomorrow.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Hi Bill, given your decoder a good look over, this might explain some of the decoders odd behaviour, await further instructions.

Very nearly missed it at first glance with the naked eye, required a Jewellers Lupe for a closer inspection.

Lenz Decoder.png

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
shorted "output" transistor would definitely leave the light on all the time.

According to the manual, that is output A, which is the headlight.

Can't make much more sense than that!

Greg

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
shorted "output" transistor would definitely leave the light on all the time.

According to the manual, that is output A, which is the headlight.

Can't make much more sense than that!

Greg

I don't recall asking for your input, do me a favour and butt out of any thread I'm dealing with.

idlemarvel

Neither idle nor a marvel
13 Jul 2015
Ascot
Country
Mars
Best answers
Country flag
I don't recall asking for your input, do me a favour and butt out of any thread I'm dealing with.
That's completely uncalled for. No one is the font of all knowledge. If you and the OP want to work on this in private start a PM.

The Shed

8 Mar 2020
Country
England
Best answers
Info sent via email.

Last edited:

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Well...I was looking for a basic decoder to fit into a 'B' diesel unit ( no lights or sound required ), so thought this was worth a punt when I saw it on ebay.

However, I thought nothing lost, nothing gained, so attempted to fix the the permanently on 'forward' light output

A bundle of N channel mosfets for a few quid from t'bay... IRF3205

I very carefully removed the damaged component...

then added the new component...in a temporary fashion to see if anything was gained.

The gate is connected to the original driving output from the decoder
And for mechanical strength...the centre 'drain' pin is landed on the screw terminal solder pad
And the 'source' pin landed on the decoder negative ( found by a careful inspection with a magnifying glass..and confirmation with a meter )

Success..on DC the led's are polarity sensitive. ( led's with a 1k resistor in one leg )

I know it's not the most elegant repair, once I've proved it on dcc I'll make a better job of it.

Malcolm

lenz_2.jpg

Brixham

No buffers were hurt at this sign
27 Aug 2010
Best answers
Country flag
Yes..it works on dcc!!!
I'll tidy up the modification, sleeving some of the mosfet leads, and supporting the back of the device with an insulating pad of some sort

I use the Digitrax dcs 50 for most programming as I find it's nice and compact. I've been using this since 2004. It does have trouble with the latest Marklin combi MFX/DCC decoders though. I now know to use the Massoth navi and central for those.

Malcolm

digi_forward.jpgdcc_rev.jpg