Lacking Preparedness Making Up with Enthusiasm

Holden

Registered
6 Apr 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Best answers
Hey folks!

I'm Holden I'm a college student currently quarantined at home due to the current situation. I have wanted a Garden Railway for a long time and yesterday I finally took the plunge. On a whim I got a train and track in a good deal.

I have been having fun with the energy and excitement of a new adventure and so now I'm trying to figure out where to channel that energy. I have gone on and off doing research through the years but now that the dream is becoming a reality I'm trying to sort all the info in my brain and what to research more. I guess I'm looking for some guidance and prodding and to hear the stories of others who have enjoyed the hobby.

I look forward to hopefully a lifelong hobby and to learn from and get advice from you lovely people!

Reactions: 1 user
8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
I've tried to put my advice in a series of web pages, I have 10 pages of stuff that I put together as I learned.

Perhaps this will help: (note at the bottom of the page are links to the 10 pages, by subject)

There are books and other web sites, Google is your friend.

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Morning do we calk you Leg or Nut? Welcome to the forum, as well as Greg’s advice you might like to have a look at my build linked below with a ride round also linked. Though a large layout many of the concepts and projects can work just as well for a smaller or beginners line. Good luck with your journey into another world.

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum. You'll get all the help you'll need on here, but the first thing is to relax and enjoy your new hobby. Don't rush into building the biggest scheme that will fit in your space, I think most folks agree that planning and building extensions is one of the best parts of the hobby

The Tinker

Every day I wake up is a good day
6 Feb 2014
Whangamata New Zealand
Country
New-Zealand
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome On this forum are some great modellers that have some really good info on there own vlogs or web sites
Gregb Sandstone and Termite railway
ge rik Peckforton railway and
Greg Elmassian are my go to ones
There are a number of others

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome!
If you have a train, and track, then get something running. - Especially now..
A simple oval, will do for a start. Preferably on a patio, or deck. - Flat! Avoid gradients, if you can, for a start.

Then see what works for you..
Don't buy too much, to start with. - We all do, but it will take you a time to realise where you want your railway to be set, period, nationality, etc.

Enjoy!
PhilP.

mike

Master at annoying..
Staff member
GSC Moderator
24 Oct 2009
Rossendale
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, welcome to the madhouse,
Get something running

Gizzy

A gentleman, a scholar, and a railway modeller....
26 Oct 2009
Cambridgeshire
www.gscalecentral.net
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome to the forum Leggy, or Nutty....

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Welcome aboard. I think you'll find everyone here is full of knowledge. Some of us are just full of it.....:rofl:.....We all have a great time here.....:party:

Greg's site is excellent. He's had plenty of experience and has been gracious enough to share it. George Schreyer's site is another excellent source of information.....http://www.trainweb.org/girr/

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Hello Holden. So tell us, what 'train and track' have you acquired? :)

Holden

Registered
6 Apr 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Best answers
Hey everyone!

Thanks so much for the warm welcomes and advice!

And I'm glad you asked Paradise!

MVIMG_20200407_122033.jpg

In my haul I got two Bachmann Big Haulers (though one seems to not be working, I'll troubleshoot her soon) a combine car, a box car, a flat car, a caboose, and a baggage car. The baggage car is missing an axle though unfortunately. The track in the picture is what I brought home which is incredible to me! The water tower in the background also came with the train.

The water tower is interesting to me. It's aristocraft. It actually works! Water comes from it's spout and it will measure how much water is left on a gauge on the outside. What I'm wondering is, what would you use the water tower with? A live steam locomotive maybe? Are there locomotives with tenders you can fill with water just for fun?

So that's my haul. Now I need to find a more level spot and to clean the connections between rails.

Thanks,

Holden

korm kormsen

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Country
Paraguay
Best answers
Country flag
...The water tower in the background also came with the train.

The water tower is interesting to me. It's aristocraft. It actually works! Water comes from it's spout and it will measure how much water is left on a gauge on the outside. What I'm wondering is, what would you use the water tower with? A live steam locomotive maybe? Are there locomotives with tenders you can fill with water just for fun?
there have been rumors, that some people use these tanks to hide their favorite moonshine...

be welcome!

Paradise

Registered
28 Jan 2010
Back Yard
Country
Australia
Best answers
Country flag
Nice haul!

I like the kidney track plan because it has a curve going the other way making the train weave around better, although I'm sure the plan will change as your empire expands. A passing loop added would be good for a second train.
If you like the engines it may be wise to buy some Anniversary chassis from Bachmann parts online store for when they both croak. They have metal side rods and reduced to only about US$40 or so for clearance. Subscribe to their mailing list because they often have a further discount needing a code for checkout. They will fit the similar Big Hauler model 4-6-0 like yours with slight modification. They will run out of these eventually.
I'm sure someone here more local to you can help you with a single Bachmann wheel set from their parts box. Any volunteers? Hint hint. ;)
Soaking the rail joiner ends in some vinegar with a little salt added for an hour or so scrubbing with an old toothbrush will help clean the inside of the rail joiners. Rinse well with fresh water afterwards. The track looks fairly clean to me anyway so I'm not sure if you need to do this.
LGB have some short tank cars that can take water with a drain tap but they are of a European style. More for kids perhaps.

Have fun!

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
there have been rumors, that some people use these tanks to hide their favorite moonshine...

be welcome!
Strange, but the moonshine you drink from these towers, makes your layout increase in size

Holden

Registered
6 Apr 2020
Phoenix Arizona
Best answers
Hey folks,

Good news. Second loco is working. I took her inside and tried running her on flat ground and she took. Only issue is she was making a bit of whining noise. Hrrm :finger: