dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Stumbled across this indoor layout build. The create seems to be a recreation of the HSB. It's going to be huge. Excited to see how it progresses.

Certainly looks to be a big layout, but I think it is a shame that with so much space there have been compromises on Epoc. This is what the loco shed looks like now which is how it should be with that viewing platform to the right.
3300F8FE-BDBA-48AB-808D-57477E95D716.jpeg
This is how the shed looked in 1981 when I visited.
933823D2-9447-4BD9-AA6A-675FF86FF436.jpeg
Possibly the shed will be a temporary structure time will tell. Oh and yes there should be a standard gauge railway to the left of the shed, to my memory the old time buildings would be located in the town centre. But as ever rule 1 probably applies.

For a superb no compromises version of Wernigerode the ‘Shades of the Harz” layout takes some beating.
I have only been able to find this which is the Broken Station but Steinerne Renne and Wernigerode station layouts were present with few compromises. Oh yes and most of it still exists for public viewing in a Loft at a Railway Station in the Midlands.
But still many thanks for posting it is an interesting layout and one we all would like to aspire to with time, space and money!

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Holy guano Batman, that's fantastic.....:clap:

Paul M

Registered
25 Oct 2016
Royston
Best answers
Country flag
Great stuff.

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
Dunny, thanks for sharing (and the videos in the other thread). An impressive setup. They still take it to exhibitions?
No it is now pretty much a permanent exhibition but one of the guys (PhilP I think) on here is involved and I am sure he may chip in with some updates.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
That would be me, then? :blush:

The Shades of the Harz layout, was only exhibited six times (to my knowledge). Twice, at the big Warley Model Rail show, NEC near Birmingham.

The owner had passed away, and a passing comment at the end of the show, sent me in search of information.
Long story short. I was able to offer the layout a permanent home, care-of the Chasewater Railway. The layout came to us their, and we then had to make it fit, in the long 'loft' we had available.

We were 'gifted' the layout, and a LGB - mad friend, bought a large quantity of the original stock.

The layout is open Sundays, most bank Holidays, and gala days.
A core of 4-6 have done this voluntarily, since we got to a stage to let the public in..

Reactions: 1 user

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
A blast from the past..

dunnyrail

Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
That would be me, then? :blush:

The Shades of the Harz layout, was only exhibited six times (to my knowledge). Twice, at the big Warley Model Rail show, NEC near Birmingham.

The owner had passed away, and a passing comment at the end of the show, sent me in search of information.
Long story short. I was able to offer the layout a permanent home, care-of the Chasewater Railway. The layout came to us their, and we then had to make it fit, in the long 'loft' we had available.

We were 'gifted' the layout, and a LGB - mad friend, bought a large quantity of the original stock.

The layout is open Sundays, most bank Holidays, and gala days.
A core of 4-6 have done this voluntarily, since we got to a stage to let the public in..
Brill update Phil, yes that is you! Now I am not quite so nits bound I am hoping to make a visit. A Sunday would look to be a good day sometime and with permissions it would be a good time to let my 5906 have a run. Still not been battery converted so perhaps a great DCC sound guest.