Kadee Remote Uncoupling & DCC

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi folks,

I'm wondering if anyone has an ideas or thoughts on how best to control the new kadee remote uncoupler servos using DCC?

Here is the link to the Kadee coupler kit:
http://www.remoteuncoupling.com/html/11115.htm

Our railroad, the Somerville & St.Francis River, is geared towards realistic operations and as such we do a lot of switching/shunting moves using Kadee magnetic uncoupler ramps installed between the rails. This system has been working well but I'm currently toying with the idea of upgrading our caboose fleet to the new Kadee remote uncouplers and controlling them from a small, on-board function only decoder. This would greatly help speed up the switching process when we need to cut out the caboose during a local switching/shunting move for example. I was just wondering what people thought would be the best option in terms of a decoder for this? Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!

I'm currently leaning towards a massoth unit, ideally their new eMotion 8FS servo decoder which should hopefully be coming out soon or their eMotion 8FL paired with their 6V voltage regulator as they recommend for servo control. I would really like to hear if anyone has any other ideas or suggestions, particularly if they are more cost effective!

Many thanks in advance :)

(PS: I should say that we're currently using a Massoth 1200z central station with three Navigator handsets, and mostly NCE decoders in our locos with Phoenix sound.)