Kadee couplers

don9GLC

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Aberdeen
Best answers
<p>I noticed a recent thread about uncoupling the LGB type couplers. They are not exactly prototypical for RhB, or US style, or anything else that I can think of!</p><p> </p><p> I have long been attracted to Kadee couplers but have no experience with them. Should I bring my RhB stock into the last (20th) century? </p><p>[and upgrade their braking system :)) ]</p><p> </p><p>Does anyone have experience with the latest E range of Kadee coupling? </p><p> </p><p>I'm particularly interested in switching yards, where the magnetic delayed uncoupling mechanism seems to be ideal. </p><p> </p><p>Or, do you know better? ? </p><p> </p><p>And do you have any preferred suppliers? I favor buying direct, (but I also visit Farmers' Markets).</p><p> </p><p> </p><p>Don
</p><p>It would be great if your comments were about your experiences, not your prejudices
</p>

PaulRhB

This Way Up
24 Oct 2009
Wilts Drifting toward the RhB,plate tectonics rock
Best answers
Country flag
<p>Don</p><p>I've used kadees in HO and in G when I had US models, they are superb although I haven't converted my RhB stock to kadees as it would make it incompatible with the RhB stuff on Neils layout. Easy to set up great for hands off shunting and reliable. I would try a couple first to check how they look under the RhB buffers.</p><p>Think I got mine from Chalk Garden Rail a few years back.</p>

supagav

USA standard gauge in the late 1960's, in 1:29th.
30 Oct 2009
Oban, Scotland
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Hi Don,

I wouldn't hesitate to recommend them in an instant! I absolutely love them and fit them to all of our locos and rolling stock. We model US prototypes so they do fit in well with our overall look, but I'm sure they would work equally well with European stock.

I began using them in HO and have never used anything since. Our railroad leans very heavily towards switching and operations, so the Kadee stuff is almost essential to what we do. The only thing to remember is to take your time and fit them properly as that way you can be sure that the magnets will all work correctly. There is nothing more frustrating than a wagon that won't uncouple, especially on an open house when about 20-30 guests are all watching! Try to always use the Kadee height gauge as a reference point; if all your couplers match up to that then you know you have done it right.

As for the fitting, you have two main choices: body mount or truck mount. The truck mount design are by far the easiest option as they screw directly onto the existing LGB coupler mounting. The body mounts differ in that they attach to the body of the loco or wagon. Whilst this can often involve some drilling and screwing, it has the major advantage of looking far better with a much closer coupling between cars.

There are a few suppliers in the UK that stock the Kadees, but for the full line you can always order direct from their site, although this might incur some extra customs duty.

If you have any questions please just drop me a line!

All the best ,
Gavin

ps: the following photos show some of the Kadees on our equipment, note the body mounting on the boxcar after the loco: