Just a check up this is correct ??

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Hi, still in the planning stage at the mo, but just wanted check the image is correct below as i have decided to build my layout with 48.3mm scaffold poles for the straights & 50mm waste pipe for the bends, then plastic decking to lay the track on. It seems a cost effective & weather resistant way. But, to bend the pipe i need to make a jig from an 9x4' sheet of wood & set up a jig to bend the pipe with hot sand packed inside. This will make up an R1 & R3 jig. So, for an R3 i will make two bends, 1at 1025mm & 1 at 1325mm to run in parallel around the bend & slatted decking across the two. & similar for the R1.

Track ridi 90deg.png

dunnyrail

DOGS, Garden Railways, Steam Trains, Jive Dancing,
Staff member
GSC Moderator
25 Oct 2009
St.Neots Cambridgeshire UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bending pipe has been done in the past. A friend used plumbing plastic pipe in a similar method to that you describe, he fitted bends to the pipe then poured in boiling water to make it bend. Turn to U over to let the water out followed by cold water to make it stay bent. I reckon that system should work for you. Sure it will be much easier than hot sand?

Reactions: 1 user

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Bending pipe has been done in the past. A friend used plumbing plastic pipe in a similar method to that you describe, he fitted bends to the pipe then poured in boiling water to make it bend. Turn to U over to let the water out followed by cold water to make it stay bent. I reckon that system should work for you. Sure it will be much easier than hot sand?
I see a few vids on youtube & i think the sand is possibly the safer option. I am also looking for ways to join the pipe internally as i dont need the external bump.

Cliff George

Registered
24 Oct 2009
City of Chelmsford
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting. Please keep us updated as to the success of your project. I tried making curves with furniture grade plastic, comonly available in the US but also available from here Display | Furniture Grade PVC Pipe and Fittings . You may have more success using 50mm waste pipe. There are internal joiner pieces for funtiture grade pipe.

Bending the pipe using a jig wasn't too difficult. The problem I had with the test piece I constructed was that in the hot summer sun the pipe actually softened and went out of shape. The top of the decking was no longer straight. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I chucked away the test piece I built.

Good luck.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Very interesting. Please keep us updated as to the success of your project. I tried making curves with furniture grade plastic, comonly available in the US but also available from here Display | Furniture Grade PVC Pipe and Fittings . You may have more success using 50mm waste pipe. There are internal joiner pieces for funtiture grade pipe.

Bending the pipe using a jig wasn't too difficult. The problem I had with the test piece I constructed was that in the hot summer sun the pipe actually softened and went out of shape. The top of the decking was no longer straight. Sorry I don't have any pictures. I chucked away the test piece I built.

Good luck.
Hi, the reason for the 50mm waste pipe is that its within 2mm of the 48.3mm scaffold tube & might make joining a bit easier. I will experiment with the fittings like the one below for joining. The image at the bottom is just a template they made on some sheets of wood on the wall bent into shape & then put the sand in the oven to around 150c & fill the tube. It becomes like a limp snake for around 10 minutes. Then they just lift it onto the wall jig. "Grey & black pipe"
scaffold-fitting-joint-pin_1024x1024.jpg
bender.JPG

8 Mar 2014
San Diego
Country
Armenia
www.elmassian.com
Best answers
Country flag
How thick are the slats? Maybe notch out the few slats for an external joiner. From the looks of what you are doing, that should not be too many slats.

What temperature does the waste pipe soften at? The sun peeking between the slats might possibly soften the tubing.

Greg

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
How thick are the slats? Maybe notch out the few slats for an external joiner. From the looks of what you are doing, that should not be too many slats.

What temperature does the waste pipe soften at? The sun peeking between the slats might possibly soften the tubing.

Greg
The tube needs a good 100c to make it flexible. I have also noticed 50mm blue poly water main might be a good alternative. There is quite a bit about secondhanded/new. But the usual problem is finding the 50mm version within a 100 mile of home.

GAP

G Scale Trains, HO Trains, 1:1 Sugar Cane trains
14 Jun 2011
Bundaberg Queensland, Australia
Country
Australia
ringbalin-light-railway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Depending on the budget these guys may be a viable alternative.
And they deliver

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Depending on the budget these guys may be a viable alternative.
And they deliver
I have had a look around & found this place for a good price. i have asked them for a sample if possible. At this price, its affordable assuming it not to thin.

Madman

Registered
25 Oct 2009
Pennsylvania, USA
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting subject. And may I add quite creative. One possible solution to joining pipe ends could be to use the next smaller size pipe. If it fits snugly inside the larger pipe you are using for your track support, then cut it into short lengths and viola, you have inexpensive joiners.

collectors

Registered
16 Apr 2022
Norfolk UK
www.chrismorris.co.uk
Best answers
Country flag
Interesting subject. And may I add quite creative. One possible solution to joining pipe ends could be to use the next smaller size pipe. If it fits snugly inside the larger pipe you are using for your track support, then cut it into short lengths and viola, you have inexpensive joiners.
Good old youtube just gave me a good tip for this. If i am using 50mm pipe cut an 8" section & then cut a a 1" slot down the length of the pipe. I should be able to squeeze the 8"x50mm pipe down to around 47mm & push it in the end of the 50mm. We will experiment.