Jay`s Steak House,the town rebuild started,more done.

Riograndad

Model Railroading, boats and oil painting,
6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Not a roundtoit more a putitoff,the town of Apache Falls has been outside in one form or another since about 2014 and a few building needless to say are a little worse for wear so a new build now started,secondly the new builds need to be a little larger in size,new depot and water tower tend to show up the need for new.
So the first build is a two storey steak house,styrene sheet construction as normal for me and the sides left plain for now as this will be in mid block along the street and whatever lands up on either side the walls can then be finished off,the roof of the entrance will have a clear top to allow light through,the windows inside need dressing in some way but I don`t think it will sport an interior but still thinking about that,the lighting for the build will be cheap solar garden lights I found for a £1 each and will stick on the roof and made into a water tank(?)or something like,I`m not sure yet on what side to do next but a couple of stores,bank and hotel are on the cards.IMG_20210619_130637.jpgIMG_20210622_205432.jpgIMG_20210622_205442.jpgIMG_20210622_205453.jpgIMG_20210622_205511.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Its been some time since I posted anything and actually came on the forum to poke about but other things have been going on so just had no time to spare,the street build has seen some progress but still a long way off being finished,some pics on the build so far,lighting,roof details,street furniture and some painting and varnishing to do and the other side working from the middle of the street needs at least one more building,slow progress but I am getting there.IMG_20210725_142036.jpgIMG_20210725_142121.jpgIMG_20210725_142329.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

stevedenver

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Best answers
Country flag
RGD
did you free hand paint some of the signs, ie Herbs, Pharmacy"
if so , well done! (if not , well done anyway)

Btw lovely variations of buildings, very compact illusion.
How does the styrene hold up in the elements?

beavercreek

Travel, Art, Theatre, Music, Photography, Trains
24 Oct 2009
Colchester, United Kingdom
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice builds Rio.
I have been 'renovating' a great many of my buildings, many of which have been outside for about 15 years.
I have a mix of scratchbuilt wooden, kitbashed plastic, plastic kits and some which are a mixture.
Some of the wooden buildings have got embossed styrene rooves (Precision Plastics which are now retailed by Ozaek Minatures) as the shingles either rotted or were knocked about by animals (wild and domestic!).
The styrene roofing helps to warterproof the wooden structures to some extent
Styren does hold up well to outdoors if the correct glue is used.
Styrene over wood:pointrock saw mill wide.jpg

_9172168.jpg

One of my first attempts at scratch building... a pickle works... it was a quick and dirty construction but has its own charm. The building behind is a Piko/Pola jobby.

IMG_2819.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user

David1226

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Abingdon, Oxfordshire
Country
United-States
Best answers
Country flag
Nice builds Rio.
I have been 'renovating' a great many of my buildings, many of which have been outside for about 15 years.
I have a mix of scratchbuilt wooden, kitbashed plastic, plastic kits and some which are a mixture.
Some of the wooden buildings have got embossed styrene rooves (Precision Plastics which are now retailed by Ozaek Minatures) as the shingles either rotted or were knocked about by animals (wild and domestic!).
Styrene over wood:
You must be feeling quite chipper.

David

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
RGD
did you free hand paint some of the signs, ie Herbs, Pharmacy"
if so , well done! (if not , well done anyway)

Btw lovely variations of buildings, very compact illusion.
How does the styrene hold up in the elements?
Yes Steve,they are hand painted,the styrene stands up well outside,the buildings these are replacing have been outside since 2014 24/7 and are still standing up but begining to show signs of age,I am going to pass on to no 3 son for his railway and his renovation work.I hope to post some more pics by the weekend as lots more done including the last build on the end;)

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Nice builds Rio.
Styrene over wood:View attachment 288559

View attachment 288560

One of my first attempts at scratch building... a pickle works... it was a quick and dirty construction but has its own charm. The building behind is a Piko/Pola jobby.

View attachment 288561
I like the saw mill,I would like to put one together but alas short of room,I too have used the shingle sheet for roofing(can`t remember who`s it is)for the small depot but I prefer to use single items glued on one by one,just a gluton for punishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
I like the saw mill,I would like to put one together but alas short of room,I too have used the shingle sheet for roofing(can`t remember who`s it is)for the small depot but I prefer to use single items glued on one by one,just a gluton for punishment!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I know what you mean, the effect is so much better. I have used the one-by-one method on a couple of my building's roofs.
In fact I have had to use separate shingles on a roof where I did not have enough embossed styrene to cover it.
So there is most of the roof using the embossed styrene and a patch using real shingles.
The embossed sheet is so good that it blends really well with the patch of individual shingles, or vice versa, once I had painted them both!
The cedarwood shingles are on the back face of the roof in the photo.
stroe right end 1.jpg

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
I know what you mean, the effect is so much better. I have used the one-by-one method on a couple of my building's roofs.
In fact I have had to use separate shingles on a roof where I did not have enough embossed styrene to cover it.
So there is most of the roof using the embossed styrene and a patch using real shingles.
The embossed sheet is so good that it blends really well with the patch of individual shingles, or vice versa, once I had painted them both!
The cedarwood shingles are on the back face of the roof in the photo.
View attachment 288822
Nice blend Mike,what did you use to seal the ridge it looks sticky?

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
The completed street is almost done,Herb stands outside his store checking a delivery in whilst talking to Chuck the local beat patrolman eating his free donut,the traveller leaving the boarding house is heading for the train depot and the woman figure is just heading around the corner heading somewhere! Just a couple of small jobs to complete it,I plan a few more figures and maybe a little more in the way of billboards to go on,pool hall or something like and the flag staff on the bank needs finishing,to make the flag "FLY" I used tube fixed through the roof and the flag is attached to brass rod that drops in and so is moveable when the wind catches it,the flag is removable as soft material items don`t stand up well if left outside,48 stars and so correct for the time modeled,the flag is from Cornwall Model Boats(quick plug)Solar lights now also fitted.
I decided on the name West 2ND ST,,,,,heads west and its the second street build;),now I have to fit into position on the layout.IMG_20210812_141903.jpgIMG_20210812_140732.jpgIMG_20210812_141427.jpgIMG_20210812_141619.jpg

Reactions: 2 users

beavercreek

24 Oct 2009
www.facebook.com
Best answers
Country flag
Nice blend Mike,what did you use to seal the ridge it looks sticky?
It is metal strip, glued down. Unfortunately I used a little too thin strip so it is very malleable and the cat has sat on it and squashed it down as you can see! :banghead: :wasntme:

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
It is metal strip, glued down. Unfortunately I used a little too thin strip so it is very malleable and the cat has sat on it and squashed it down as you can see! :banghead: :wasntme:
I thought it was dummy lead flashing,a sticky backed tape,we used to sell it years ago when I was in the Builders Merchants game,don`t know if it`s still around,for the life of me I can`t remember the trade name and as I recall came in 5m rolls.

PhilP

G Scale, 7/8th's, Electronics
5 Jun 2013
Nottingham
Best answers
Country flag
Bostik do a self adhesive lead flashing, but a bit thick for what we want?

How about the self adhesive lead strip used to give a leaded effect to windows?

PhilP

Riograndad

6 Jul 2013
Northampton UK
Best answers
Country flag
Bostik do a self adhesive lead flashing, but a bit thick for what we want?

How about the self adhesive lead strip used to give a leaded effect to windows?

PhilP
Bostik?Thats possible but I`m sure it came in a plain plastic bag,don`t remember any trade marks on it but thats over 20 ago!!!!!!!!!!! I actually used it on my front porch where no1 SW lives,still up and wearing well(the flashing!!)