Jackshaft fly cranks - any suggestions

ge_rik

British narrow gauge (esp. Southwold and W&LLR)
24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
www.riksrailway.blogspot.com
Best answers
Country flag
Hi folks
I'm considering converting / bashing a Playmobil diesel into an 0-4-0 Fowler diesel - similar to this one:

3d4735af0f4d4c5981a81728cf922b51.jpg

I could probably fashion some fly cranks for the jack shaft out of offcuts - but I reckon this is going to be the most challenging part of the bash. Does anyone know any source for these mechanical bits which I could use / adapt?

Rik

Philbahn

Registered
24 Oct 2009
Swinton Manchester
Best answers
Country flag
Re:Jackshaft and fly cranks - any suggestions

ge_rik said:
Hi folks
I'm considering converting / bashing a Playmobil diesel into an 0-4-0 Fowler diesel - similar to this one:

images

I could probably fashion some fly cranks for the jack shaft out of offcuts - but I reckon this is going to be the most challenging part of the bash. Does anyone know any source for these mechanical bits which I could use / adapt?

Rik

Try WARENREICH or WARENBERG IN GERMANY. They keep selling the cranks off the OBB diesel might just be what you want

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

You could probably fashion some from a pair of spoked loco wheels, with filler for the extra bits. Probably a longish job though, but at least you'd have the crank pins. The offset for the cranks must be identical to the loco axle or it wont go round.

DoctorM

Interests: Manifold
2 Jan 2011
SE London
Best answers
Country flag

You could probably fashion some from a pair of spoked loco wheels, with filler for the extra bits. Probably a longish job though, but at least you'd have the crank pins. The offset for the cranks must be identical to the loco axle or it wont go round.

I thought of that option but it would be an expensive use of a pair of loco wheels.

As the jackshaft and its eccentrics would (presumably) just be a cosmetic add-on, a cheaper option would be to use plastic wagon wheels as a donor, and fit your own crank pins, but as you said, the offset must match that of the drivers.

bobg

Registered
3 May 2010
Middle Earth
Best answers

And the out-of-phase must agree also. Doen't need to be exactly 90deg but they must be the same, or again it wont go rond

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

Thanks chaps

Plenty of useful information here. Yes, you're right of course, will have to check the lengths of the offsets between axle and crank

Rik

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag

ge_rik

24 Oct 2009
Cheshire
Best answers
Country flag